Bourjois Mat Illusion Bronzer

Bourjois Powder Mat Illusion Bronzer in FairI said in my Summer Essentials post that I’d review the Mat Illusion bronzer from Bourjois and so here it is in all its glory. It really is lovely. Completely free of any shimmer or pearlescence, it blends beautifully into the skin and leaves it looking realistically sunkissed. I’d say that it’s slightly too warm to use as a contour powder, but then I don’t really like contour powders (or the effect) that much, so it’s no skin off my nose!

A before-and-after for you, using the Mat Illusion powder in “fair” – the product on the right in the photograph above. Without bronzer:

Bourjois Powder Mat Illusion Bronzer in Fair

and then with:

Bourjois Powder Mat Illusion Bronzer in Fair

It’s so subtle, but it gives great definition to the face if you apply lightly to the shadowy areas and a warm, general glow if you’re more haphazard with application. It’s actually quite difficult to go too far wrong with this powder, so long as you’re using a nice fluffy brush and you aim at the right places. (I’m using the Zoeva Face Definer brush, £19.99 here*.)

Bourjois Powder Mat Illusion Bronzer in Fair

I’ve had quite a few comments about the Mat Illusion since I’ve started using it; it seems that there’s something of a shortage of bronzers for those with very fair skin. If that rings true for you, then Mat Illusion is worth a test – ditto if you’re not that fair but want a foolproof, buildable powder that won’t look fake or overdone.

You can find the Bourjois Mat Illusion at Boots here* – it’s £7.99 and also comes in a darker shade, pictured on the left in the very top photo.

*Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers are affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. April 27, 2017 / 12:06 pm

I am very fond of my The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzer, I don’t really like the warmth many give to my skin, and it is subtle enough to work even on fair skins.

2. Evelyn
    April 27, 2017 / 12:08 pm

This looks like it would also make a lovely eyeshadow, particularly in the crease. Beautiful.

3. April 27, 2017 / 12:40 pm

This is such a beautiful bronzer, I’ve really loved what Bourjois has been coming out with recently and think they are such a good budget option and that bronzer just looks so natural! xx

4. Laura
    April 27, 2017 / 3:01 pm

That looks lovely on you! I really like the BareMinerals Ready Bronzer in the shade “Skinny Dip” for my fair skin.

5. Lynne Harper
    April 27, 2017 / 5:52 pm

I’m living the look of this. I’m so so Pale and I struggle massively to find one Light enough. Well until now:) x

6. April 27, 2017 / 8:06 pm

Totally agree, the perfect pale girl bronzer, I’ve reviewed it too. No shimmer, and I feel like it actually blurs pores? Love. H x

7. Rachel
    April 27, 2017 / 10:00 pm

Ooh been debating between this and Body Shop has bet bronzer. How do they compare?

• April 27, 2017 / 10:53 pm

This seems to “blur” and blend more seamlessly, but both are beautiful. x

8. Eliza
    April 28, 2017 / 12:01 am

Oooh it’s very pretty on you! I’m also fair, a bronzer newbie and generally just clueless about this kind of makeup…

SOOO, this option looks really fool proof and won’t take too much of my money. Success. Can’t wait to try it. xx

9. Eliza
    April 28, 2017 / 12:15 am

Also, can someone please post all of the ingredients? I can’t seem to find them online anywhere… thank you!

• Jessica
      April 29, 2017 / 12:04 pm

We don’t yet have this bronzer in Australia, but I can post the ingredients for the other Bourjois bronzer if you like? It’s probably fairly similar. If not, keep an eye on Priceline.com.au for it’s release, as they post the ingredients.

For the Delice Bronzer by Bourjois:
      DELICE DE POUDRE BRONZING POWDER: TALC, NYLON-12, OCTYLDODECYL, NEOPENTANOATE, POLYMETHYL, METHACRYLATE, LAUROYL LYSINE, MAGNESIUM MYRISTATE, MAGNESIUM, STEARATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE), PEG-8, TOCOPHEROL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, ASCORBIC ACID, CITRIC ACID BENZYL BENZOATE, COUMARIN, LIMONENE, LINALOOL. MAY CONTAIN: CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), MICA ] TALC, CALCIUM, SODIUM, BOROSILICATE, TIN OXIDE.

Hope this helps in some way!

• Eliza
        April 30, 2017 / 4:36 pm

Oh thank you so much. I’m in the US so the purchasing/ investigating options are few for Bourgois.

I’ll keep an eye on priceline as you mention. I’ve not yet shopped through that website, but I know it’s quite good! Have a great week!!

10. May 1, 2017 / 4:48 am

I miss this brand! I wish it was more accessible in the States!

11. May 4, 2017 / 2:55 am

These bronzers are lovely! I need to get them!
    -Maria

12. Eva
    May 9, 2017 / 12:09 am

Rimmel Sun Shimmer in Light is great, not shimmery at all and perfect for fair skin. Am on my 2nd now, the only problem is that the lid wants to fall off.

13. May 17, 2017 / 12:26 pm

Thanks for sharing this one! My Body Shop Honey Bronze has hit pan and I was looking to replace it when it runs out. I just purchased the Bourjois bronzer since it is is a bit cheaper and looks just as lovely!