Effaclar Duo: The Spot-Treating SPF

La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo+ SPF30 Review

Fans of La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar Duo rejoice: they have released a new version of their highly effective spot treatment, this time with an added SPF. Effaclar Duo+ SPF30 has the same basic formula as the original, helping to minimise the size and appearance of spots and blackheads, controlling shine and reducing the marks that stubborn spots tend to leave. I found Effaclar Duo to be something of a wonder product when I had a nasty stint of adult acne a few years ago; it helped to keep my skin clear without drying it out or leaving it feeling stripped and tight.

The addition of an SPF hasn’t compromised this lovely formula – it’s fresh and light and non-greasy, but with that same unexpected hit of hydration. I already rate the Anthelios SPFs from La Roche-Posay very highly – they do some brilliant lightweight non-clogging fluids that are brilliant for oily skin – but the Effaclar Duo+ SPF30 brings something a little new to the table. Not only is it light and non-claggy, it actually helps to treat and prevent breakouts – it’s not just “suitable” for congested, spot-prone skin, it’s made specifically for it. And I feel that it’s not solely for those with oily skin, either – if your skin is on the drier side, but you still suffer with blackheads and breakouts, then you might also enjoy this SPF. Perhaps use an intense moisturising serum beneath it for good measure – you can browse some serum suggestions here.

You can find the new Effaclar Duo+ SPF30 at Escentual.com* – it’s £16.50. A great choice if you worry about your sunscreen breaking you out and you want something non-chalky, fresh-feeling and good at keeping shine at bay.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. May 17, 2017 / 9:02 am

I love the tinted version of this product, I am actually wearing it today. Do you have any information about UVA protection in this one?

• Bbbbbb
      May 17, 2017 / 4:52 pm

It does contain UVA protection.

2. Amalia
    May 17, 2017 / 9:11 am

The european version of La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar Duo lacks the base ingredient Benzoyl Peroxide for acne treatment.

• Jaclyn
      May 17, 2017 / 10:23 am

The product is European (it’s a french pharmacy brand) and the acne treating ingredient is niacinamide

• Kat
      May 17, 2017 / 12:53 pm

It also contains a very mild percentage of Salicylic Acid. I’ve never used the non-European version, but it’s very effective.

• May 17, 2017 / 4:38 pm

As others have mentioned, the European version contains salicylic which is brilliant for treating spots and also niacinamide for inflammation and helping with marks. The US version can only be used on targeted areas, this one is more hydrating and can be used all over. x

3. May 17, 2017 / 9:15 am

This couldn’t have come at a better time. I’ve been looking for an SPF moisturizer that won’t break me out on my chin (as so many sunscreens seem to do) but that also doesn’t make me look like I slipped and fell in an oil slick. Definitely gonna give this a go!

4. Karolina
    May 17, 2017 / 9:22 am

Hello Ruth! I was super excited about this until I saw that there is alcohol denat in it. I love the normal Effaclar which doesn’t contain alcohol at all. So it somehow bothers me because everyone keeps saying that alcohol is the worst in skincare. However, I always rely on your opinion so I’m curious to know what your thoughts are…greetings from Germany! By the way: Colab is finally available here and I’m totally in love. Best dry shampoo ever!

• May 17, 2017 / 4:42 pm

I’ll find out about this! I hadn’t spotted that x

• Bbbbbb
      May 17, 2017 / 4:53 pm

not all alcohol in skincare products are bad!

5. Alison D
    May 17, 2017 / 9:36 am

I love La Roche Posay and always come back to the effaclar duo when I veer to other products with similar promises. I have been really pleased with the tinted version – as a Mum of a newborn it is such an easy and quick way to keep me looking fresh and even my skin tone when I don’t have time for make-up.

• May 17, 2017 / 4:42 pm

It’s so good, isn’t it?! I keep meaning to do a post on it!

6. May 17, 2017 / 1:22 pm

I’m glad to hear that the SPF hasn’t compromised the formula, I also love this product! Having a sensitive skin, it is one of the only skincare products which can tackle my occasional breakouts without irritating my skin at the same time!

7. Claudia
    May 17, 2017 / 3:43 pm

Hi Ruth- you are the reason I tried the La Roche Posay Duo European version & it will always be one of my staples. I can’t wait to try this one- I live in the US & will search high & low for this new one. Unfortunately, Escentual no longer ships LRP to the US! Thank you.