All Nighter: The Extreme Makeup Fixer

Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray Review

Imagine if you could fix your expression to your face and make it last all day. Smile, grimace, frown; choose your mood and then lock it into place. It would be so handy for weddings if you could smile once and then freeze it. Or, for a serious occasion – something like an important meeting – it would be great if you could have yourself an attentive sort of look that would stay in place for the duration. You could have one of those little frowns going on, so that to the casual observer you would look as though you were concentrating, but inwardly you would really be chortling away at funny pictures on Instagram.

Or, wow, I’ve just thought of a good one: you could fix your eyes open so that you appeared to be awake, but really inside you’d be asleep! Fancy looking all wide-eyed and perky throughout a three hour budget meeting, but really you’re snoozing. Marvellous.

I suppose you could run into problems, though, couldn’t you? With a fixed expression. I can imagine a confrontation between drunks at the very end of a wedding reception, with one guy grinning away like the village idiot and the other (I like to think he’s wearing a kilt) taking offence.

“You smiling at me, mate?” says the man with the kilt on. (He’s not Scottish, but he has “roots”.)

“No, I’m just smiling generally! I can’t stop, you see!”

“What’s your problem? Think I’m funny mate?”

“No, I honestly can’t stop smiling! I’ve fixed my expression!”

“You need to wipe that smile from your face.”

“I can’t! It’s fixed!”

“Wipe it from your face, or I’ll wipe it for you.”

Etc.

Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray Review

Anyhoo, Urban Decay’s All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray won’t quite fix your expression, but it’ll set just about everything else. I’ve never really been in a rush to test out setting sprays, mainly because I tend to go for quite a natural look and I rarely need my base to last longer than the usual eight or so hours. In my more spirited days it could have been quite useful – close, humid environments and enthusiastic drinking sessions tend to play havoc with a full face of foundation and bronzer and so on – but mostly I welcomed the rock and roll vibe that came along with smudged eyeliner and a “dewy” skin finish.

I have, however, become something of a convert after trying the All Nighter setting spray. It invisibly holds everything in place – base, bronzer, blush, highlighter, concealer, eye makeup – and stops everything from becoming patchy and blotchy over the course of the day. Or night. If you have problems with your base sliding or becoming cakey after a few hours of wear then (apart from trying out a good primer, which is always a sensible place to start) a few spritzes of All Nighter might just do the trick.

I’ve used the Urban Decay Makeup Setting Spray on a number of occasions now, doing some rather out-of-character stuff in order to test it to its limits. I think the best one was running around the garden like a lunatic last week when it was about thirty-three degrees. I must have done eight or so full laps, pushing Angelica in her little pink car, before collapsing onto the picnic blanket for a twenty minute disco nap in full sun. (Yes I was wearing SPF50.)

I then went into town for an event, spent an hour on a sweltering train with sweat dripping down my cleavage, speed-walked with a pram through Shoreditch, sat in a baking hot private dining room and then repeated it all in reverse, and when I got home my makeup looked pretty much the same. Urban Decay say that All Nighter gives up to about sixteen hours of wear, keeping makeup looking fresh and neat. I suppose that makeup would usually look good for around four or five hours anyway, depending on the conditions, so you’re prolonging wear by over ten hours. I mean my face really did look almost as good as it had when I’d first applied the makeup that morning…

Impressive stuff. The setting spray does leave the skin ever so slightly tight, or perhaps glazed is a better description, but it’s not too noticeable. Not like spraying your face with hairspray, which used to be the standard method of makeup fixing… I find that I’m now having a little spritz of the All Nighter even if I only need makeup to last the course of a normal day – it seems to stop concealer from creeping into fine lines, and further on up the eye area, shadow appears to stay in place for longer.

You can find the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray at FeelUnique here* – it’s £23.50.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. June 28, 2017 / 8:33 am

My grandma used to tell me that if I frowned when the clock would strike midnight, my face would stay forever that way. It was her way of encouraging me to smile more, I guess.

• June 28, 2017 / 10:59 am

And now, no clock needed – just a bit of setting spray! LOLZ/

2. Helene
    June 28, 2017 / 8:41 am

All Nighter is impressive, but I need to know more about the brawl at the wedding :)
    I giggled in a very silly way when I read (He’s not Scottish, but he has “roots”.) I honestly don’t know why, but it was hillarious. I’m glad I was at home and not reading it on a public transportation of some kind, as people look at you in a strange way when you start laughing loudly at what seems to be nothing.
    You are such a good writer, I do love reading your blog, and watching your videos.

3. Hannelore
    June 28, 2017 / 11:10 am

Any recommandation for a great makeup primer? Thanks

• June 28, 2017 / 12:34 pm

Yep; Smashbox illuminating for brightness, Armani Maestro for lightweight with SPF, any of the Estee Lauder ones, any of the Urban Decay.

4. Gaya
    June 28, 2017 / 12:40 pm

Hahaha, loved the wedding tangent Ruth! All nighter really is the best setting spray. Adding to your amazing test experiments, once at a children’s fair (during summer in the south of France) whilst I was holding a stand, a kid threw a water ballon at my face. I went to the toilet to fix it thinking my makeup must had melted but it was perfect, nothing had moved! Quite impressive product.

• June 28, 2017 / 10:00 pm

Excellent anecdotal material there! : )

5. June 28, 2017 / 1:35 pm

I really need to try the all nighter spray. Maybe next time, I’m at Sephora I’ll check it out.

6. June 28, 2017 / 2:13 pm

i am on a hunt for a good setting spray, I ve got to check this one out! thanks x

7. SomeGirlMel
    June 28, 2017 / 3:29 pm

I’ll definitely try this out for events or “out of character” experiences. For day to day, I usually just stick with blotting paper (my favorite ones are Clean and Clear but NYX is great too). I’ve been known to use Starbucks napkins too, they are great in a pinch! I remember reading somewhere that public restroom toilet liners come in handy…
    I meant to ask you, which L’oreal Hydra Genius Liquid Moisturizer do you use, the one for oily or dry skin?

• June 28, 2017 / 10:00 pm

I’ve tried both, but think I prefer the one for dry skin x

8. Michelle Hunter
    June 28, 2017 / 5:26 pm

Really glad that you still do old school written posts rather than only doing videos Like the occasional video but the written posts are my favourite and too many bloggers have become very video heavy in my opinion. Thank you!

• June 28, 2017 / 9:59 pm

I much prefer writing to doing videos, so no worries there! : )

9. Jessica
    June 28, 2017 / 5:29 pm

Out of curiosity, which base were you using? I’ve been looking for a new foundation that covers dark spots, and would appreciate your suggestion! :)Great post as always!

10. Julia
    June 29, 2017 / 12:40 am

Ruth I absolutely love your writing! I respect your product opinions and appreciate your hard work in testing products but I take delight in reading your posts. Thank you for so much fun – you really keep me laughing. Such a fun combination of smarts & humor you have.

11. Claire L
    June 29, 2017 / 12:40 am

I want to love this setting spray but I react to it by breaking out *sad face*. I use Tatcha Dewy Skin Mist instead which doesn’t set as well but it does look lovely on my dry skin, it gives it a lovely subtle sheen. Wouldn’t be good if you had oily skin though.

Loved the silly segue to the ‘Scottish’ guy at the wedding haha!

12. Mya
    June 30, 2017 / 5:22 pm

I’ve used this before a night out, and unashamedly worn my makeup the next day, I needed to dust off some mascara flakes, and put a new layer on. Yay for student nights with 9am lectures the next day!

13. July 1, 2017 / 7:22 am

ooh i’ve been so torn as to whether to buy this or not but I have to say your review has persuaded me that I definitely need this in my life. Love this post so much, made me really chuckle at the idea of having certain expression stuck on our face!

14. Beth
    July 18, 2017 / 11:54 am

Great post Ruth – as always! Could you tell me which Mac x9 eye palette is in the first picture? It looks lovely, and just the sort of colours I usually gravitate towards… Many thanks!
    Beth x

15. Dagmar Ille
    August 28, 2017 / 9:28 am

Dear Ruth,
    I turned 50 a few months ago and uhhh, how I would have loved your blogg when I was in my 20s.
    I enjoy reading it now and watching your Videos!

A big hug from Vienna, Austria!!!
    Dagmar