Sunday Tittle Tattle: New Hair and Owning It

josh wood atelier model recommends

I have new hair. Please excuse the fact that I’ve taken these photos with my shower in the background – I was filming a video in the bathroom and the light was nice!

But anyway, here’s my new style – shorter, blonder, fresher, younger. I love it. Many thanks to the team at the wonderful Josh Wood Atelier – Melanie Smith for the colour and Katherine De Rozario for the cut. So many people have asked for more details on what Melanie and Kat did, so here we go:

josh wood atelier model recommends

For the colour, Melanie used a “classic herringbone foil application”. Apparently a lot of hair colourists don’t do this anymore, favouring balayage, but Melanie feels that “blondes need foil”. (I certainly think it’s given the colour a really sharp and fresh look.) She says that she then “balayaged all the ends through the entire front to give a full-on blonde effect without the heavy root regrowth.”

josh wood atelier model recommends

For the cut, Kat “razored the hair into an A-line one length long bob. Then using scissors I sliced into the shapes to break up the weight and give that lovely broken-up beachy feel. I finished by twisting the hair as I dried to give a nice natural finish with a bit of minimal tonging at the very end.”

If you like the style and want to copy it, then that’s your blueprint. Of course, you could go to Melanie and Kat themselves…and one of you might just have that opportunity in the near future. That’s all I’m saying for now – watch this space!

This was just the hair-perk-up I needed because I’ve been losing quite a bit of it recently – it happened after I had Angelica too. I didn’t want to keep tying it back, because I have two little bald patches at my temples, but I was getting hot and irritable with it down. I didn’t go to my appointment thinking I’d go much shorter, so it was on a bit of a whim!

Doing things to my hair “on a whim” is still something of a novelty. It has taken me quite a few years to become accustomed to the fact that I am now in sole charge of what happens to my hair, because for most of my full time modelling years (let’s say from 2002-2012), my hair colour and cut was almost always dictated by the jobs that I did.

When it came to paid hair jobs, quite often they would want to clart around with my barnet – make their mark. My agency, Models 1, were always excellent at laying down the law with clients about my hair – any changes that people wanted to make had to be agreed before the job, and were often written into the contract. If it was a small hair job, the client would only be allowed to trim my hair and touch up the roots – if it was a big advertising job then quite often they had permission to do more drastic things.

But the problem with any job where they were allowed to do stuff to my hair was this: one person’s idea of a trim, as we all know if we have ever been in a hairdresser’s chair ever, is completely different to the next person’s idea of a trim. The number of times I came away from a “quick trim” having been virtually buzz-cut wasn’t even funny, and there was one particular TV commercial where a “shoulder length” cut turned into a jaw length bob.

But hey – I was being paid! That’s what should have been running through my mind, shouldn’t it? But hair is a very personal thing – it’s a huge part of our identity. It has a massive role to play in our overall appearance. And so it always felt quite weird, especially at the beginning of my modelling career, to have to relinquish control over my hair and let people discuss over the top of my head what might be done with the scissors or the bleach bottle. I’d always get a horrible, squirmy feeling in my stomach as I heard phrases such as “graphic layers” or “boyish crop” or   “choppy ends”. I’d want to shout, “it’s MY bloody hair!”

In all fairness, most clients were very keen to make sure that I was happy with what they wanted to do – I don’t want to give the impression that my head was completely hijacked. But even the best intentions were often lost in translation, and people did tend to be quite scissor happy in the fashion industry! In the end, it was all so stressful that I just learnt to detach myself from my hair completely – I thought of it as a sort of removable wig, part of my wardrobe. If someone botched my colour (bright, custard yellow highlights, New York, 2011) then I tried to comfort myself with the knowledge that it could be corrected. If my long, shiny locks were chopped into a dodgy mullet (Amsterdam, stoned hairdresser, 2002) then I had a bit of a cry and, on the next job with a decent stylist, I’d get it re-cut and corrected.

Needless to say my hair spent a lot of time getting blonder and shorter. In fact, six months before my wedding, I ended up with hair so short it was shaved at the nape of my neck. It was so white blonde that only two days after a bleach touch-up, my scalp would look as though it was covered in tens of thousands of tiny black fleas or nits where the roots were peeking through. Looked great, actually and I had thought that it was quite exciting at the time, but you get the idea: my hair was never my own.

Hair jobs were a good source of income and so I used to suffer the bad cuts and colour jobs, but boy was I glad when I no longer needed to say yes to them! My last ever hair job as a full-time model was possibly the absolute pinnacle in terms of ridiculous, soul-destroying hair situations; they cut five inches from the length, hacked some layers in, dyed it a weird, brassy shade of blonde and then on the shoot day decided they preferred me in a wig. Yes, readers: on top of my new, horrendous style, I wore a wig.

You couldn’t make it up.

Anyway, I didn’t set out to have a moan about my modelling days – I had a fabulous time, what a way to spend your twenties! – but I do now rejoice in the fact that I have full control over my hair. When I go shorter, it’s because I want to. When I go blonder, or darker, it’s not because someone has botched my colour, or because it will look better in a picture, it’s because I fancy a change. Now and then I do take on a hair job, like the good old days, but I tend to have more of a say. It’s all my own hair, little bald patches and all.

josh wood atelier model recommends

Now: I’d like your hair anecdotes in the comments section, please: disasters, emergencies, disagreements that ended with fisticuffs at dawn… Tell me all. Any bad hair modelling stories, models out there? If you make me laugh enough, I’ll go into my office and dig out some of the worst pictures from my modelling past. Maybe I’ll put them into a video slideshow. How very 2004!

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Cassandra
    July 16, 2017 / 8:17 am

Looks wonderful Ruth, and so manageable for a mum of two. Love the colour

• Jaime
      July 24, 2017 / 11:04 pm

I love love love the new haircut, Ruth!! Looks stunning on you.. I suppose any haircut would look stunning on you, but I especially like this one.. xo

2. Donna
    July 16, 2017 / 8:27 am

Your hair looks lovely Ruth, great cut and colour! Really suits you! :-) Nothing like good hair to make you feel better! When I was 12 / 13 yrs old I really wanted my hair layered like Rachel in Friends. I had nice long hair and thought it would look really pretty. My Mum always thought that going to the hairdresser was a waste of money so my Dad got the job of honorary “hairdresser” at home – (my Dad is in no way a hairdresser!) for any necessary trims. I happened to say to my Dad that I really wanted the “Rachel” cut and was going to ask Mum if she’d bring me to the Hairdresser. He told me not to worry that he could do it for me! Anyway needless to say he messed it up massively and basically cut two MASSIVE chunks of hair off either side – it was like he was going for a ‘C’ shape! I only had a small bit of normal hair at the back and was just about to start secondary school. I had to keep my hair tied up as best I could for months until I finally convinced my Mum to bring me to a real hairdresser to get it fixed lol The hairdresser looked at me like “wtf happened to your hair!?” She fixed it up but it scared me off getting anything different with my hair other than a small trim for years! Lol

3. July 16, 2017 / 8:41 am

It really is very lovely and suits you so much. I can imagine not being able to change your look as a model would feel a bit stifling sometimes. But now you can go for it! And so you should.

As a mum, I feel like I’ve wanted to make changes to my appearance, get new hair, get a piercing, get a new wardrobe. Especially after I have finished breastfeeding both times… I’ve gone through a sort of transition period, where a little bit of the woman I was before being a mother shone through.

Currently, my hair hasn’t been cut for six months, and I have an awful regrowth and greys coming through, but no time as a full time mother of two to get it sorted! I need a colour, but was vaguely tempted to just let my natural colour, greys and all, grow out, and just embrace it. But… at 35… I am not sure I’m ready.

Anyway, here’s to having more fun with hair and beauty, and show off the women we are! Bald patches, greys, and all.

4. Anna Wright
    July 16, 2017 / 8:47 am

I love it! You look fresh and young and beachy and peachy. Isn’t it amazing the difference a haircut can make?
    My hair story is as follows: for years my mum’s friend cut my hair over the bath. Then when I was 13 mum said she thought I was old enough to go to a salon. I was so excited and felt so grown up. The hairdresser said to look at the magazines and choose a style I liked while I waited. I chose an 80s (as it was the 80s!) type layered affair that looked amazing on the model. I wanted to look just like her really. And he tried to recreate this look. But I have very thick curly hair and when he cut into it the shorter bits sprung up like poodle curls tight on the top of my head, and the bottom remained sort of wavy and looked like spaniels ears. When he showed me the back with the mirror I burst into tears and cried the whole way home with my cardi on my head. After that the only thing for it was to dye it, I mean it couldn’t have got any worse so why not!and then years followed of red, pink, blue and black disasters with my parents despairing and me telling them ‘it’s not permanent, honestly’! Wow it is easy to write reems about hair isn’t it?! My hair is reasonable now, but I feel I need a change, I need to freshen up. But it’s really hard to find someone that can do the right thing and I’m still in fear of being poodleified!X

5. Laurie
    July 16, 2017 / 9:10 am

These stories are fabulous Ruth. A little peek behind the curtain as to what models have to put up with! I had a dreadful haircut in the summer before I started secondary school. It was so bad I ended up going to another salon and having it all chopped off into a crop. I’m quite round faced and it didn’t look good (not to mention I was only 11 so not exactly womanly). One lunchtime in year 7, an older boy came up to me and asked if I was a boy or a girl. That moment still haunts me. Needless to say, my hair has never been shorter than my shoulders since!

6. Sarah
    July 16, 2017 / 9:23 am

This is EXACTLY what I want done to my hair (but maybe an inch longer). I’m going to show this to my hair dresser this week. I’m nursing and having my hair fall out in CLUMPS. It’s off-putting!

With only a few exceptions, I feel like my 20s were an homage to beach blonde- long, blonde, eye-catching. My 30s is where I’ve really felt adventurous enough to make drastic changes.

I’ve had some doozies. My classic look is long, blonde (think JFK Jr’s wife as my doppelgänger), but in the last two years I’ve turned into a chameleon. I grew my hair down to the middle of my back for my wedding. Afterwards, I cut off six inches. It felt AH-MAZING. But where I’ve really switched it up is color. I’ve been golden blonde, chestnut brown, honey bronde, deep auburn… and they all look great!

I had one haircut done in my 20s by an old boyfriend’s mother that looked akin a David Cassidy circa Partridge Family. My long, beautiful hair was chopped and layered within an inch of its life! After that, I had an emotional connection to my long hair for years.

7. Hannah C
    July 16, 2017 / 9:25 am

It really suits you.

I’ve never been very adventurous with my hair, which is brown and ringlet-curly. Aged 14 in 1991, a hairdresser uttered the dread phrase “Do you want some height on top?” Thinking she was going to slice in a few layers or maybe work a bit of mousse into the roots I answered in the affirmative, and watched in horror as with one move of the scissors she cut the entire crown to 2.5″. I looked like a Cavalier King Charles spaniel, and took to doing nightly headstands to try and increase the rate of growth.

• Sarah
      July 16, 2017 / 7:19 pm

OH MY GOD

• Amy Benjamin
      July 16, 2017 / 11:40 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA

• Hannah C
      July 27, 2017 / 8:56 pm

I have just seen video evidence of the same from 1991 and it was just as grotesque as I remember.

8. Em
    July 16, 2017 / 9:35 am

My mum paid for me to have a cut and colour for my birthday in my mid twenties, being conscious that our parents are not made if money (an awareness that tends to come post uni when you are skint yourself!) I booked in at a sensibly affordable salon in our local town…..a very crass no frills/personal skills/joy (!) Woman told me that I couldn’t have the colours I wanted because of my natural colour and that she would only do bleach. Being older and wiser now I would just walk out at this point but no I continued and left with some shocking thick, bleached tiger stripes all over my head but plastering the biggest smile as my mum was so pleased with her present. The plus side of this storey is I walked into another salon a few days later and met the best hairdresser and now friend and she has been fulfilling my hairstyle dreams for the last 5 years!

9. Julia Meier
    July 16, 2017 / 9:51 am

I made the mistake of joking with my hairdresser once. He was being serious, though.
    He was one of those who comes to the house, my mother was getting something more elaborate done, I just wanted to get a, you guessed it, trim, She arranged that he would cut my hair while she had colour on her hair.
    I come home from school, with my rucksack still on my back, he says grinning: “So you want to chop off a good few inches, huh?” Me: ” Yeah, exaaaaactly…”
    And then he gave me the worst late noughties barney possible. Because this was happening in our living room with no mirror in front of me , I just sat there oblivious to it all. When I finally did see the result, I looked like one of those girls in a cheap teenage magazine that they couldn’t be bothered to make up.
    In retrospect it probably wasn’t such a bad haircut but at the time it was exactly what I didn’t want to look like. I was revising for my A-levels at the time and I remember that I was unable to get anything into my head that day because I was so concerned about this terrible cut :D

10. Rachel
    July 16, 2017 / 10:06 am

I’ve had a crop for a couple of years and my rusted hairdresser has left so by default I’m growin it. This sorted if choppy lob is what I had in mind. Though being a bit of an old punk at heart I’m doing to have a cheeky undercut to pretend I’m not nearly 50!!

11. Rachel
    July 16, 2017 / 10:07 am

And also… you look amazing. Love it

12. Helene
    July 16, 2017 / 10:11 am

You probably look amazing in any kind of weird haircut/colour. I’d love to see some of the “worst” ones :)
    The new one you have now is gorgeous. you look gorgeous.

I had a 20-25 cm trim once, technically the cut was good, but I had asked for a 5 cm trim. I cried, I didn’t pay and I had my hair in a bun for weeks as I couldn’t show it, especially at my job. My then boss would have made a “fun” remark, sending me back into tears. After some 6 weeks I was so used to it I could have it lose again.
    I did both say and show the hairdresser how much she could cut, I even asked her as it felt strange. Water under the bridge now, or schampoo down the drain or something. I still have long hair, but not as long as I had back then, so it did grow back :)
    That was my story, the only time I’ve walked crying from having a haircut.

I do love reading the Sunday tittle tatltes’ so much fun. Well written as always.

13. Shradha
    July 16, 2017 / 10:16 am

Hi Ruth, your beauty suggestions have always helped me. Especially the alpha h liquid gold night serum. That was a real discovery and is still my holy grail.
    Today I have a suggestion for you, FOUNTAIN HAIR MOLECULE. It’s amazing for post delivery hair fall. My second child is now 13 months and the hair molecule has really really helped. Love the new hair BTW

• Amy Benjamin
      July 16, 2017 / 11:44 pm

Oh yes – I’ve not used this but it’s from the NIOD/Deciem/The Ordinary family.

14. Nyree McAleer
    July 16, 2017 / 10:17 am

Oh Ruth,
    I totally feel for you!
    I’ve had two almighty hair disasters that I fear hairdressers as much as dentists (but that’s another story).
    First disaster was shortly after my 21st Birthday. My aunt took me to a fancy hairdresser (he was Scottish Hairdresser of the year), for some highlights and a new cut. My hair was waist length, with brassy ‘sun-in’ self made highlights (do you remember that stuff?). Anyway, he was charming, came over started the highlights around my face and the rest was completed by a junior. I was wrapped up and put under heat. I hear a small beeping noise and called over someone. They just said it came from somewhere else and left me. I seemed to be under the heat for ages. Eventually I called over someone saying I was getting uncomfortable under the heat, they looked at me in horror and ran off. Hairdresser and my aunt came over. My waist length hair had practically melted off my head. I had waist length hair going in, and a Sharon Stone white bob leaving. Those were the days before the internet as trust me, everyone knew about it. It took me months before I didn’t cry every time I look in the mirror.
    Second time was a trim with blended it layers. I got back to work and my boss took me to one side. From the back, it looked like a 2 year old had hacked at my hair. She let me leave and go back to the salon, where I when mental. The salon owner came out and I angrily (but without sweating) told her and the rest of the salon what had happened. She recut it (admittedly it was lovely, but now 4 inches shorter when it was only meant to be ‘a trim’).
    A good hairdresser is a friend for life!!

15. PoetPips
    July 16, 2017 / 10:27 am

Ruth, where is your shirt from? It’s *so* pretty!

16. Anne
    July 16, 2017 / 11:03 am

In the early 80s I went toa local hairdresser “for people who matter” and had the style he have everyone….a Lady Di DA perm. Perm on top and straight at the back. Gorgeous!! (?)
    Then I want for low-lights. I stressedd low-lights. I turned up. “great, highlights!” I corrected him.
    I should have realised there was an issue when I heard the word “bleach”. However I’m didn’t realise anything was up, until I was having the bleach washed off and toner applied. I heard the girl say “sable” which A level French told me was sand! That didn’t sound good and it looked worse when they sat me in front of a mirror and I saw my scalp crawledng with what looked lolke big white maggots(it was the curls bleached) . I almost cried. When dried I looked grey and not inany kind of trendy way. I did what we all do…..i said notng, then drove straight to a chemists to buy hairdye. I was persuaded not to do anythingsng when I, And this is unprecedented, did a test on strand of dyed hair and it went pink. The outcome….i wore a scarf for a week until I realised I had to put up with it. It’s worth saying my original colour was med/dark brown!!

17. Georgie
    July 16, 2017 / 11:09 am

1996/7 I am 14 and have beautiful blonde hair down to my bum. Best friend round for a sleepover and I ask her to ‘give me a trim’. In my defence, she’d cut her own hair into a gorgeous red bob the previous week- I though she had natural talent . My hair is so thick that the carpet scissors we found to do the job just were not cutting it in more ways than one!
    She kept trying to correct the wonky cut and my hair got shorter and shorter until my long hair was a jaw length bob. With a fringe. It looked awful. It was so thick and such a blunt cut that I just looked like a mushroom. My mum made me go into school the next day. Took me the hairdresser after school where the hairdresser basically said there wasn’t much she could do without going much shorter I.e shaving it at the back. I think I cried every night for a week! Some clever sausage put up a load of old photos on Facebook recently and it came back to haunt me along with the nickname ‘mushroom head’

Your hair looks fabulous. So fresh and young and not at all mumsy. You look great.

18. Alex
    July 16, 2017 / 11:35 am

19. Alex
    July 16, 2017 / 11:35 am

LOVE you new hair, Ruth! It’s so light and beachy. Really suits you. I’ve been growing my hair long for ages and seeing these pictures has made me want to go shorter again :-/ xx

20. Angelika
    July 16, 2017 / 11:36 am

Such a beautiful haircut and color. I’m jealous because I’m trying to get exact the same one but without any afford.
    Which makeup are you wearing on that picture Ruth? I love the lip color and the gloving cheeks. Looks some kind of Venus or Angel to me :)) Stunning!!!! Love your completely look!!!!!

21. Barbara
    July 16, 2017 / 11:47 am

Love the new style!! And color. I would have loved to have seen how you “sliced into the shape” … I need to do that myself but haven’t a clue. Lol I wish your blog posts were so much longer….. your writing style is just brilliant and funny and you are so down to earth which makes you seem like one of us! xo

22. July 16, 2017 / 12:48 pm

I am desperately trying to come up with funny stories because I really want to see those pictures, but I have always been in control of my hair. After my mother and her practical approach had lost their grip, that is. Meaning I botched everything myself, like the gentle perm I had on my hair when I was 20 that left my hair so brittle it would break just from touching it…

23. Michelle
    July 16, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Great post! My most memorable hair incident was when my friends coloured my hair for me at uni. We decided I should go blonde (my natural hair colour is dark brown) and rather than the lovely colour on the box it of course went a delightful shade of orange. I have no idea what I was thinking as I was doing a work placement at the time so had to go to work the next day. I got some interesting looks from my colleagues but they were very diplomatic. As I poor student I had to style it out for ages until my dad was getting married so I got it fixed. The hairdresser thought it was hilarious but looking back on the stipey red with highlights look he gave me, I’m not sure it was much better. Ha! We often laugh about it now even 15 years on… must find some photos. Would love to see yours.

24. Tiffany Connor
    July 16, 2017 / 1:26 pm

I love your new cut and color, Ruth. Beautiful. I’ve also modeled for decades and know the feeling of not being able to do what you want when you want.
    My worst cut ever was also Scarlett Johanssen’s worst cut ever. Remember it? The mullet? I walked in with a classic bob and ended up with that! She was sitting next to me in the celebrity stylit’s chair, and the woman cutting my hair decided to copy it! Horrendous. You could see it in peope’s eyes in the salon. I had to go and get the “tail” cut off. It didn’t look anything like anything in my portfolio so that was a bit of a financial and ego hit! Luckily it grows. :) Enjoy your beautiful new look and thank you for all that you share with all of us!

25. Clare Crowther
    July 16, 2017 / 1:53 pm

Your new hair looks lovely. Just the tonic! I understand what you mean about hair loss, it makes you want to do anything to perk it up. I lost a fair few patches of hair last year owing to some strong meds I was on in the run-up to surgery. It also left my hair really slow growing, but thankfully it’s improving now. Bit of a shock to me as I had always had thick fast growing hair.
    When I was 9, my mum decided to save money and cut my fringe herself. With nail scissors. At least two of my friends were present while this went on. Once done, my mum stepped back and burst into laughter, swiftly followed by my friends! My fringe was no more than 2cm long on one side, whilst on the other it was about three times that length. I had to go to school like that for two days before the hairdresser could sort it out…
    I have been going to the same hairdresser since I was about 20; love the way she does my hair, we are the same age and have pretty much grown up together. It’s been difficult to go there at times, as I was living and working in London. Once, I treated myself to a colour, highlights and a cut at a swanky London salon as I couldn’t get home to my usual hairdresser. All seemed to go well; colour looked good and the cut seemed to be what I had asked for. However, the hairdresser suddenly went off halfway through drying my hair, saying he would be back in a moment. About 20 minutes later, someone else came and dried my hair. All seemed well. It was only on the Monday morning when I started work that I realised all was not as it seemed. I arrived at court, put my gown on and pulled my hair back ready to shove my wig on top… I discovered that the hairdresser had cut the hair on the lower part of my head much shorter than the hair on top, so that I couldn’t pull it into a ponytail. Instead, it hung miserably from my wig, the over all effect being a two tone half mullet. It took months to grow out. I didn’t go back to that salon!

26. Isolde
    July 16, 2017 / 2:16 pm

I grew out my natural grey hair colour which I love. Then I grew my hair long as I supposed to be getting married this month. Then I got dumped about 3 weeks ago and haven’t had the money to get it cut as now a single mum. Your new hair has inspired me and first chance I get I am hopping mine it’s driving me mad!!!!!

• Dee B
      July 16, 2017 / 9:01 pm

That sounds like a really hard experience, hope you are ok – being a single mum myself I know you’ve no choice but to carry on, but hope you are also looking after and minding yourself. Something definitely therapeutic about cutting off hair too – good luck!

27. Mansi
    July 16, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Your hair is always on point.. love the crop!
    The only adventurous thing I’ve done with my hair is getting red highlights, which is rather modest I’d say. Had short hair for a long time, now I just sort of grow it. Don’t know what I’m doing with it tbt.
    Did chop off my hair once, in exasperation, got tired of brushing it. Hormones!

28. Meave
    July 16, 2017 / 4:34 pm

Wow you look fantastic with this new hair! I’m feeling very inspired!
    Also loving your makeup in these pictures. The eyes look a bit different from what you normally do. Would love to see a tutorial, and then maybe also how you style your new hair.
    Thanks for sharing!

29. Gisela Spencer
    July 16, 2017 / 4:56 pm

The injustice of it all. Then they prefer a wig. Mind you I was thinking about wigs the other day to see what I might look like with short hair.
    I do love the look of your hair and imagine you could wear it like your avatar profile pic which is just stunning.
    The professionals are the way to go Ruth and I would love to see your ‘old do’s’.
    Could really go for a good haircut myself. Alas two hours drive to get to a city.
    Been hacking away at my own hair for years.
    Its pretty hideous really. And the color yipes.
    hee hee

30. Eleni
    July 16, 2017 / 5:10 pm

Wonderful hair Ruth! I really liked it and it suits you perfectly! It’s always true that hair can make a great difference to the face. You seem even prettier, younger and tiredness has gone:) I can’t help asking if you have also done something different to your makeup or beauty routine before this shot and your face looks healthier and more juicy. Any new tricks or discoveries? Honestly, in this photo you have the best skin. I am really interested in knowing the exact products you have used:)
    As for hair disasters? Let’s say that I was witness in a scene where the hairdresser was looking at a poster next to her and was proudly and full of self-confidence cutting my friend’s hair as if it was going to be exactly like the model’s! And guess what? Not even the slightest similarity! Hilarious moment! At least for me watching:))

31. SomeGirlMel
    July 16, 2017 / 6:27 pm

So happy for you! It reminds me of Jennifer Lawrence’s bob, but I prefer the shape and color of your hair. That’s really interesting that Kat prefers foils for blondes. It makes sense. My hair is dark, so balayage doesn’t lift enough for me. I need the foil to fully “cook” my hair I suppose! Instead, my stylist does a modified version of both balayage and a mix in of “babylights” using foils.

32. SomeGirlMel
    July 16, 2017 / 6:35 pm

Oops, sorry I meant Mel for the color

33. Sandie
    July 16, 2017 / 6:47 pm

Hi Ruth, your hair is absolutely fantastic! And totally natural looking blonde too. My most memorable experience was at a very trendy Japanese hair salon when I was about 19, living in New Zealand… I asked for “some blonde highlights” … I ended up totally bleached (think Debbie Harry in her Blondie years!). The only solution was to cut my beautiful long hair into a very short crop and dye it back to my dark blonde colour … took a couple of years to get back to normal. I was so self-conscious that I wore a hat for ages!!

34. Carly
    July 16, 2017 / 6:49 pm

I have just had my hair cut into quite a similar style, and I feel quite liberated! I lost all of my hair 5 years ago at age 32 due to chemo treating my breast cancer. I had really long hair and was absolutely devastated. My hair had grown back, even longer than before I suppose, and in my mind the longer my hair was the further away from having cancer I was. But then I had a big old chat with myself, it’s just hair, it’s all split and dead, get it bloody cut! When I did I felt so much younger and it looks so much fresher and I love it. Love your cut it looks gorgeous.

35. Val
    July 16, 2017 / 7:55 pm

Looks great Ruth.
    When I was in my late teens I called into a hairdresser in town to have a trim , wash and dry. I have naturally curly hair. After the trim and wash, I was put under one of those driers that older ladies used back in the late 70s.
    I was mortified with the result and daren’t say anything. I couldn’t get out there fast enough. I remember running into C & A, grabbing a garment and going into a changing room where I frantically tried to pull out the curls that looked like I’d had a bad perm. I was scarred for many years after that and absolutely hated going to the hairdressers. I’m glad to say, I love the experience now.

36. Jennifer
    July 16, 2017 / 8:42 pm

Your hair looks lovely, Ruth! I recently had the same type of blonde color done minus the cut. I was a model as a 9 year old. One of my “defining features” was my incredibly long, down to my bum length of thick golden blonde hair. So, one day it was decided that I was to go to the hairdresser for a “trim.” I fell asleep in the chair, and when I woke up….to my absolute HORROR, the woman had cut all of my hair off and there I was with a boy’s haircut! Shorter than a wedge! I came home and looked in the mirror, crying and trying to pull my hair to make it longer! I was so upset and distraught! There have been a few moments in my life where things have went a bit wrong but I believe that takes the cake. I completely sympathize with you regarding the term “trim” as it’s haunted me ever since!

37. Kathy
    July 16, 2017 / 8:48 pm

I don’t have any truly horrendous stories. Mostly the usual. A mother who didn’t agree with what a 13 year-old wanted. (She always won, even once after humiliating me in front of the stylist about my “dirty” hair.) A few stylists who left the odd lock that was weirdly long or short, or with stripes of blonde highlights not blended in. But I’m not so attached to my hair that I would be crying afterwards.

I am in the same hair place as you, minus the children. I recently cut at least a foot of hair off. I had similar balding spots from wearing it up for 15 years. It had to go short enough that I can’t have a ponytail. Then the weather got hot (Midwest, USA, going on week two of 37+ Celcius) and went even shorter, with a sharp angle so it’s completely off my neck in back. This is the shortest it has been since I could make my own decisions (w/o mom) about my hair. I should dye it but I’m not quite sure which direction I want to go.

Congratulations on your new hair

38. Lorna
    July 16, 2017 / 8:59 pm

After years as a student of bleaching my own hair nearly white (I loved it!) I was earning and started doing a tour of all the hairdressers :)
    I moved on to the best salon in my area and two very cool blonde girls took on the job of my long blonde hair. During processing it burned so bad my eyes watered, but I knew if I ‘told’ I’d be ringed and feared The Orange. Once I was completely cooked and ringed they attempted to comb it out… except my hair had melted together like it was full of globs of chewing gum. Apparently it was all my fault and they went on to sell me a fortune of hair saving kerestase products. And I even tipped. What a knob.
    That was about 16 years ago, and I’m still a hair salon tourist

• Lorna
      July 16, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Ringed? Ringed??? I was rinced godammit

39. Dee B
    July 16, 2017 / 9:12 pm

Judging by the other stories, the teens and early 20s seem to be the biggest danger period for hair disasters. Mine was too. My friend worked in a family-run shop round the corner from the hairdressers so I popped in to say hi to her before I went in. I can’t even remember what I asked for, but was so totally unassertive that when she scalped me, I didn’t know how to respond so said nothing. When I called back into my friend, the owner said ‘did you pay for that?’ with a look of horror on her face and the teenage son, in working for the summer holidays, had to duck down behind the counter to hide his laughter. The owner helped come up with a plan that the best that could be hoped for was to go back in and ask them to give me my money back and at least even out the hack job – it wasn’t even an even scalping. I’m still nervous going to get my hair cut all these years later though thankfully much more assertive now!!!

40. Dee B
    July 16, 2017 / 9:13 pm

and your hair looks amazing – suits you ma’am!

41. Martha
    July 16, 2017 / 10:36 pm

Your new cut and colour looks great, it suits you so well!

I dyed my hair purple a few years ago (or rather, the hairdresser did). My hair is stupid and never wants to do what I want it to do, so when we first tried to dye it, the roots went purple but the previously dyed parts just didn’t take the colour and went a sort of salmony pink mixed with the bleached browny colour that it already was. Round two thankfully did the trick and I had purple hair for about a year. It cost a lot to keep the colour up however, so at that point I decided I wanted to go back to my normal hair colour, and I wanted to remove the dye to make the growing out process less painful. Stupid me thought it would be easy. We did two rounds of dye remover (I don’t know what that’s called in English…) and two rounds of bleaching – my hair turned bright pink, and I ended up having to grow it out from that. Fun times!

42. Research Warrior
    July 17, 2017 / 1:24 am

Your hair looks amazing and I love that Melanie pushed back on the balayage trend a bit to stick with foils. The only time I ever asked a stylist to write down her technique (she was moving too far for me to follow and I was nervous about finding someone else), she told me about the herringbone pattern! It’s how I secretly judge new colorists – how they place foils, as if I have any idea myself, haha.

I can’t specify any particular hair disaster but have experienced enough terrible highlights for my sister and I to have coined “skunk head” as the accepted term for terrible high contrast 90s stripes. I’m going to fwd her this post as inspiration.

43. Gaya
    July 17, 2017 / 3:07 pm

You look gorgeous Ruth! It really suits you. I’m glad you now have the freedom to choose whatever you want to do with your hair too.
    Funny hair anecdotes:
    – Once when I was a child, my father had to take me to the hairdresser instead of my mother and gave the instructions to the stylist; as a result I looked like a boy and when I told my father that, he told me “it’s a great cut, you look just like your cousin!”. Fail.
    – The other one was my doing. I brought a picture of a pixie cut to my hairdresser and she told me that it would look different on me because of my hair texture (I have thick wavy hair and a lot of it). Everytime I woke up after that I looked like a bear with my short hair sticking up.
    X

44. Jayne
    July 17, 2017 / 7:36 pm

I love the shorter, blonder style on you Ruth but I think you could carry off most lengths. Seems so odd that you have done this piece as I have only just done something very silly to my own hair. Hate going to the hairdressers and have to be dragged screaming as I have had so many disasters in the past (they don’t listen to what I want!!!). I have foolishly tried a few subtle highlights with a box highlighting kit and yes, I now have yellow-orange stripes with a particularly lovely yellow stripe at the top of my head for all to see (praying we don’t have any bright sunshine now..). Can’t believe I’ve done it and still not sure how to rectify it…
    However, I think my most awful experience has got to be in the 90’s when I asked my hairdresser to give me a root perm (I had visions of loose, flowing waves). What I ended up with was more like Violet Elizabeth from Just William (showing my age here). Lovely tight curls/ringlets that would not budge or loosen for weeks. I eventually had to have my hair cut so short and even then there was still a slight curl in my hair. Like so many others, I just smiled and said thank you to the hairdresser, crying all the way home! I’m hoping this recent hair disaster is my last one….no more hair dye and no more perms for me!!

Jayne x

• Leticia Warwick Justus
      July 20, 2017 / 6:36 am

Jayne, if you have a beauty supply place like Sally Beauty near you ask them to help you choose a toner with a cool/ash tone. Follow the directions on the box. It will change your yellow stripes to a softer blond. Or you could buy a at home hair color in like a 7.5 to 8 cool blond shade. That would help cover the yellow. Leave that color on until you are happy with the shade. Check Google for tips on how to help with yellow or to golden of tones. Good luck!

• Jayne
        July 22, 2017 / 8:44 am

Hi Leticia, thank you for your reply and advice, I’ve managed to cover up most of the yellow in my hair with a combo of ash brown/blonde. I can now go out without my hat!

Jayne x

45. Emily
    July 18, 2017 / 5:24 am

I love the new hair! I am tempted to chop mine off again. I would also be very interested in seeing a tutorial on this hair and makeup look!
    My worst hair cut experience was when the hairdresser accidentally snipped my ear lobe and I had to leave with an unfinished cut because I was bleeding too much. I was too afraid to go back to the salon, so I let my roommate even out my hair. I ended up with a mullet that took months to grow out.

46. Kathryn Wright
    July 18, 2017 / 4:37 pm

Thanks for this article Ruth. Ive even feeling stuck in a rut recently and have decided to go for quite a drastic change of style and colour. I was quite adventurous with my hair in my 20s changing it regularly. But since getting married and having children I’ve become a bit ‘sensible’, and I think this is pressure I have put on myself to ‘grow up’.
    The blonde bob looks lovely on you, much more young and fresh xx

47. July 18, 2017 / 11:10 pm

My hair is a major problem with me atm. I bought a hair coloring cream the other and I’m thinking of chopping my hair off shorter – because yes, I feel old already and I’d like a hair style that would boost a little confidence in me. Thanks for this post. Gorgeous new hairstyle and hair color!

mutzii • http://www.baiebotanique.com

48. jamie-leigh
    July 19, 2017 / 2:24 am

I feel like this is the haircut you should’ve always had, it frames your face perfectly, it’s a good length, and it’s probably really easy to manage. Looking lovely as ever! Now if someone could come and sort my mane out that would be great… I’m just a wimp.

Jamie-Leigh x

49. ali
    July 20, 2017 / 4:43 pm

once i was doing two jobs in one day and at the first…meant to be natural, it was just a commercial, the hair stylist had obviously been repressed, and decided to put an entire salons worth of product on my hair resulting in what can only be described as the “dosnt wash hair on bizarre ethical grounds so has Snape like grease tapes lankly draped around the face”. Anyway, there werent washing facilities and I had to go straight to the next job where it had been requested I have “freshly washed hair”, so I like an idiot decided to pretend that was my natural condition by 3pm…
    The company later wrote to my agent suggesting a well reputed Trichologist (google it). Just about died of embarrassment.

50. Carole Frost
    July 23, 2017 / 11:17 pm

When I was about eight or nine my mum took me to the hairdressers for a cut and the women’s hairdressers was closing up so she took me next door to the barbers. Needless to say I ended up with a short back and sides. I was mortified and refused to go to school for a whole two weeks as I felt so embarrassed. I was bereft.

51. mariaelina
    July 25, 2017 / 10:18 am

Lovely lovely hair!

And oh I understand your moan completely. I was six or seven when my mom had my hair cut into a short (very short) bob. The next year I decided that a crop would be a good idea. Not so much. I spent the next almost twenty years trying to grow it out, then retreating at the inevitable horribly awkward phase. I finally did grow it out in my late twenties and loved loved loved finally having the long hair I had always dreamed of.

But then. Cue miscarriage, baby, miscarriage. Cue another baby one year later. And I lost almost all of my hair. Really. My hairdresses has been in the business for at least fifteen years and was horrified at how much hair I lost.

Right now I am past the stage where all my hair stood on end (as it was new and so short), but to me your new hair looks beyond lovely and I will be so so thrilled when and if I reach that much length again.