A Week In My Life: August 2017

family life vlog

I’m trying something a bit new on the video front: A Week In My Life. It’s a sort of scrapbook montage of things that I get up to during the week, but it’s all very informal and unstructured.

As you know, I’m not a natural vlogger. I find the process quite excruciating, at times, and I have a number of hang-ups and practical problems that hinder my vlogging progress! Firstly, I can’t film myself in public if there are people watching, or even if there are people minding their own business but who happen to be within a half-mile radius of me. I just die of hideous embarrassment.

Secondly, not many people I know want to be filmed, or appear in my vlogs. Which means that I have to pressgang the dog/cat/goldfish/baby into doing stunts to jazz up my footage. And there’s only so much a cat will put up with before it starts charging appearance fees. Bloody cats.

Thirdly, and possibly most importantly, I cannot get on board with this “filming absolutely everything that happens in my life” thing. If you’re filming your entire life, you’re barely having a life, because you are always filming it. It all becomes a bit existential. Are you only doing interesting things so that you can film them? If you didn’t film something, did it even happen?

Anyway, this brings me back around to the new vlog format: A Week In My Life. I’m quite good at managing to film little sections of video here and there, but quite often I then forget to do the all-important intros and pieces to camera explaining what the hell is going on. I think this is why I love Instagram Stories – you just record and publish, no need for explanations or lengthy monologues about what you’re about to do and then what you’ve just done (my pet hate! We KNOW you’ve just been to the supermarket, we watched you wheeling a trolley about a mere ten seconds ago!).

You can follow me on Instagram here if you’d like to watch my stories, my username is @modelrecommends. I don’t do stories every day, but when I get on a roll with them I really get on a roll! Also, I quite like to turn my babies into koalas and dogs using the in-built filters, and who doesn’t like a baby koala? For more life stuff, make sure you’ve bookmarked The Uphill, my mum and baby blog.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. August 7, 2017 / 7:54 pm

I have the same problem with vlogging. My life just isn´t that interesting, my friends don´t want to be filmed and I don´t want to film my kids. That leaves nothing to film, only me at night rambling on about my uneventful day.

2. Anna C
    August 7, 2017 / 8:36 pm

I’m going to ask the question that everybody wants to know the answer to…what did Angelica do to Ted’s head?!

• August 7, 2017 / 11:05 pm

Hahaha! I thought she was poking the soft spot but she was actually stroking him!

3. Donna
    August 7, 2017 / 10:47 pm

Hi Ruth :-) great video as always. Angelica and Ted are so cute! Your glasses at the end are gorgeous! Do you mind me asking where they’re from? xx

• August 7, 2017 / 11:05 pm

They are old ones from Specsavers! x

• Donna
        August 8, 2017 / 9:31 pm

Thanks Ruth :-) They’re lovely – didn’t expect them to be from specsavers! Looking forward to your book post xx

4. Sandie
    August 7, 2017 / 10:53 pm

Thank you for a brilliant vlog, please don’t think you aren’t a natural vlogger! This is so naturally entertaining, sweet and funny… I can’t quite decide whether Angelica’s “holding hands” with her baby brother, Mr Bear in the sink or Ted’s gorgeous close-up is the cutest moment in this video!

5. August 7, 2017 / 11:40 pm

Ruth, I love your new format! It’s so real. Loved your comment about all the toys having a great time at the picnic, & they’ve all fallen down drunk! So funny! Also happy for you that you’re making time for reading. I agree, social media can take over & become fatiguing.

6. Leticia Warwick Justus
    August 8, 2017 / 6:25 am

We ( my 12 year old daughter Kaelee Ruth ) and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this new video series. Please do more! We smiled and giggled through the whole thing. Your sense of humor is like ours. Keep up the good mommy work Ruth ! I promise each moment spent nurturing and loving your children is time well spent. I have three children ages 17,14 & 12. And even though we spend SO much time together being a homeschool family , which sometimes presents challenges & strengthens patience, I wouldn’t trade a moment. Continue to treasure your time with your babes and please continue to share your week with us. You’re making positive and loving memories for your babies and us !

7. August 8, 2017 / 9:07 am

Loved it… so natural and not pretentious like other vlogs! And you babies are sooo cute (dressing up with Angelica was so funny )

8. August 8, 2017 / 9:20 am

Your vlogs are marvelously balanced, candid, and fun. I’ve had to quit other vlogs because people have it in their heads that they need to film every freakin’ aspect of their lives and upload it every other day, because that’s how they make money now.
    I’ve been following your vlog for a couple of years now, and you always have something new and informative to share, from beauty products to books. You just keep doing what you do!

9. August 8, 2017 / 4:30 pm

I really enjoyed it! I find this style of video very relaxing to watch. I could never vlog, far too self conscious. It really is a great skill to be able to be yourself on camera, which you do so well. H x

10. Cepta
    August 8, 2017 / 11:39 pm

Hi, I liked this type of vlog. There is only so much of people landing at airports, going through the tube one can take.

The dolls passed out at the picnic was so funny.

11. Poorani
    August 9, 2017 / 4:12 pm

You are very real and fun, simple and endearing. Enjoyed watching this vlog more than anything I have seen in a while.

12. deb
    August 11, 2017 / 1:56 pm

Angelica is absolutely hilarious :)

13. Jo Anne
    August 12, 2017 / 12:42 pm

When the weird instrumental music starts its like an open university or schools film on being a parent !