Rose Stem Cell Mask: My Face Jelly Fetish

Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask Review

Applying the Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask from Peter Thomas Roth is like having my face smothered in glorious, gelatinous Turkish Delight. There are few things I can think of, at this particular moment, that would be as high up on the sexiness scale as face-planting a giant, floppy slab of Turkish Delight. Somewhat niche when it comes to fetishes, I grant you, but hey – some people get off on being inside an inflatable rubber suit, others make love to hoovers. I just crave sugar and have an almost indecent passion for beauty products – it’s pretty low-maintenance if you think about it.

But oh, the Bio-Repair Gel Mask – the sweet smell of roses and the fresh feel of the cool jelly clinging to my skin. It’s enough to make me want to take a bath just to sit there with it stuck to my face. Which I do. Frequently. (Mr AMR: “didn’t you have a shower about three hours ago?”)

I have to say that it took me a while to come around to testing the Rose Stem Cell mask – I’m a big user of the Pumpkin Enzyme Mask, also from Peter Thomas Roth, but I assumed that this pink, rosy jelly would be as superficial as the Pumpkin mask is powerful. I assumed (wrongly, as it turns out, so never judge a book by its cover/mask by its pot) that it would be one of those masks that feels a bit like applying Aloe Vera gel – good after a day on the beach, but offering very little beyond a pleasant cooling effect and a spot of soothing action.

Well, the Rose Stem Cell mask isn’t like Aloe Vera gel at all. I actually get something of a tingle from it and after removing with a warm flannel – my skin feels revived, more toned and lifted. Softer, smoother, generally just a bit more energised and youthful. I wouldn’t say that the effects are quite as profound as those from the Pumpkin Enzyme Mask, which has an almost instant, visible brightening effect, but there’s something about the rose one that keeps me coming back for more. I do a big slathering at least twice a week, more if I’m feeling flash.

The blurb online says that the Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair mask is a

“cooling gel to help invigorate and improve the look of skin vitality. Helps to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, dehydration, dullness and sagging as it strengthens and tones the look of skin. Skin is left looking silky soft, radiant, beautiful and youthful.”

I’d say that it ticks a lot of these boxes even on the first use – my skin does feel invigorated and more toned. It also feels silky and soft and hydrated and, though I can’t honestly tell whether the mask has done anything for fine lines and wrinkles, it definitely gives a bit of a radiance boost.

As for the cooling gel texture, this is one of my favourite things about the mask – there’s no wishy-washy liquid jelly here; it’s a robust gel that sticks fast to the face even if your skin is slightly damp. A boon if you’re in a hot, steamy bath or you’ve just cleansed your face (which you probably will have done) as it means that you don’t need to dry your skin first, and you don’t get runny, melted gel slowly running into your eyes and mouth.

And then there’s the smell, which is utterly divine. So long as you love roses. There’s a shedload of rose going on here; desert rose, pale rose, white rose, damas rose, rose water, rose hip seed, rose extracts, rosa cantina. I mean, bloody hell, you couldn’t pack any more rose stuff in. But each type seems to have its uses, and the promised benefits cover everything from sagging to dullness, fine lines to dehydration.

I find it impressive that the mask manages to leave my skin feeling tighter and more toned – as though it has been sort of shrink-wrapped to my face a bit – yet still nicely hydrated. It just always feels like a good all-rounder. A beautiful treat to apply on any day, for almost whatever reason. A “go-to” mask, if you want a mildly irritating media-speak phrase to pin on it.

Read more face mask reviews…

I apply for ten minutes or so, during bathtime. I’d say “whilst shaving my legs/applying a hair mask” or some such fabrication, but the truth is that I usually sit bolt upright composing posts like this one in my head. I can’t even lie back in the bath, because it’s too big and I slide under, which isn’t ideal if I’m not washing my hair. (Luxury problems! It makes it sound as though I’m in one of those footballers’ spa-tubs, with waterjets and so on. I’m not. It’s a standard bath, it just has very steep sides and I can’t get good purchase on the other end with my feet which means that I’m constantly bracing myself for the sudden plunge. As I said, luxury problems.)

Anyway, the Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask: great for all skin types (though I’d always check if you’re very sensitive) and particularly wonderful if your face feels hot and bothered, hormonally imbalanced and ready to scream. It’s £50 for a big pot and you can find it at Cult Beauty here* or $52 at Sephora*.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Mansi
    September 2, 2017 / 12:22 am

For some reason each time I hear Turkish Delight, I picture the white queen from Narnia.
    This mask needs some wine, and Netflix, and pyjamas. Shouldn’t have read this on payday!

• Nathalie
      September 8, 2017 / 8:24 am

I do to!!! A fun fact: my mom translated the Narnia books into dutch and they swapped the Turkish delight for marsepin in the translation because they thought Turkish delight was too sexual. (Also due to a great seventies movie with Rutger Hauer in it by the same name). So yes, it seems that the Turkish delight fetish isn’t as niche as you’d think!

2. September 2, 2017 / 7:56 am

I think I have a forgotten sample pot somewhere in my stash. Like you I felt like it would probably not do much, but after reading this I feel the urge to dig it out and take a bath. Which I haven’t done in ages, because it is right next to my sons room so I always fear the sound of running water and me splashing around will wake him and I will sit there, naked, wet and cold, trying to comfort him back to sleep…

• September 2, 2017 / 9:18 pm

Do it!! We have same issue with bathroom next to Angelica’s room.. x

3. September 2, 2017 / 10:43 am

Oh, it sounds very lovely and very different from all the hydrating, enerigising masks I’ve tried so far! And I love a good rose scent, as long as it isn’t an artificial one? Oh and I know the ‘struggle’ of a big bath!

4. Brooncat
    September 2, 2017 / 10:48 am

Hi Ruth – I had a set of 3 small pots of the PTR masks, and while loving the pumpkin one, I wasn’t too sure about the rose one but will now try it again! BTW I also have the problem of having a bath that is too big for me & has steep sides as my OH is about a foot taller than me. I use a bath pillow as a kind of back rest, you need one with lots of suction as it has to cope with being partially under water. This means my legs actually reach the end of the bath and is much more comfortable.

5. natalia
    September 2, 2017 / 4:11 pm

Buy a pack with the 3 masks and the best one without doubts for me is the Pumkin Enzyme. The Rose Steem does smell good and moisturizes but its price is excessive for what it offers.

6. September 2, 2017 / 6:27 pm

I love this mask — happy to see it works for your skin too. Also happy to see that it makes your skin tingle a bit — as it does mine and I worry that it is irritating it and I just don’t see it. One a side note — I once had a tub that was really deep and far too long. Fold a washcloth (flannel as you call them) wet it and then use it under your feet on the bottom of the tub! No more slipping and going under! Makes the bath all that more relaxing! Gosh I miss that tub…well that entire house if I am honest!

7. September 3, 2017 / 2:54 am

It really does look like a mask that wouldn’t do much so I’m glad that you really like it! The pumpkin enzyme mask is a fan favourite that I’ve been thinking of buying, so I might just do it given fall and pumpkin spice and all

8. September 3, 2017 / 9:38 am

I am trying the gold and the Irish mud masks from Peter Thomas Roth at the moment and I am obsessed!! But of course after reading this I now want to try the pumpkin and the rose masks as well! Such a mask lover too. And reading this definitely had me thinking about Turkish Delight! Yum!
    xx Jenelle

9. Sally Smith
    September 3, 2017 / 1:34 pm

Great review… and THANK GOD someone has finally called out the phrase “go-to” as irritating. My only disagreement with your assessment of it is that you don’t go far enough. Pretentious *and* irritating.

Keep up the good fight.

S

10. September 3, 2017 / 9:02 pm

I think we share this very niche fetish for turkish delight! I have this mask and while it’s my favourite gel mask, I haven’t really found it to do much of anything. But perhaps I’m wrong? Eitehr way it’s VERY nice to use and I love the look and smell… which isn’t the point of skincare, but I like it anyway.

11. Francesca Alice Harris
    September 10, 2017 / 1:38 pm

If you’re into Turkish Delight, have you tried the new Alpha-H Cleansing Balm? The smell is INSANE. Like sticking your face inside some prize rose garden in a National Trust property.

• Francesca Alice Harris
      September 10, 2017 / 1:39 pm

(It is also a really effective cleanser. Clearly my priorities are totally in order…)

• September 10, 2017 / 7:45 pm

ARGHHHH! I have it here in my “next to try” box! Right, tonight is the night.

12. Mary
    September 22, 2017 / 4:50 pm

I saw this on your Instagram post, fell in love, opened a new tab, and bought it on the spot BEFORE you posted your review! Another of my #AMRmademebuyit moments! Just in case you ever doubt that you are indeed one powerful woman. :-) Hope you and the babies and Mr. AMR are well!

13. Daniela
    October 24, 2017 / 6:45 pm

I love this mask! I bought it several times and really made my face as you experienced very energised and smooth, the cleansed and plumped look. I’m not sure if stem cells that come from vegetables can do anything for the fine lines and wrinkles but if you want a glowing skin, definitely worth a try! At least for the smell and feel after.

14. October 26, 2017 / 3:48 am

Yes! This is a must for anyone who really want to have a glowing skin.