Deep Relax: Nothing Compares 2U

aromatherapy associates deep relax bath and shower oil review

I’ve tried a lot of these “relaxing” bath oils now  – mainly due to the fact that I seem to live in a permanent state of self-induced life-stress – and I can tell you that the Deep Relax from Aromatherapy Associates is one of the very best.

I seem have two functional modes: completely hyper, highly strung, sort of like Roadrunner on speed… and then total collapse. It’s probably not the best or healthiest way to live, but it seems to be the way I’m built. I have to forcibly relax myself in the evening by hiding my laptop and forgetting where I’ve put it (I have no short-term memory left, so it’s quite easy to lose it on purpose) and the only place I truly, truly switch off is in the bath.

Now look; this stuff is pricey. But you have to think of it as almost medicinal, rather than purely luxurious. This isn’t just a crap quality carrier oil with some drops of artificial perfume added in, this is a highly concentrated blend of very carefully-chosen essential oils. Vetivert, Camomile and Sandalwood to calm, relax and comfort – the most beautiful low-key, sleep-inducing smell. Aromatherapy Associates are, quite frankly, near-genius at blending oils – everything they make does exactly what it says on the bottle, whether it’s relaxing, reviving, de-stressing or mind-clearing.

So dispense with the fancy bubbles that smell of cake-shops. If you really want a proper, effective, value-for-your-money treat, then this is it: just a capful, which is a teeny amount, and you transform your bath into a personal spa. And I know that many brands say stuff like “bring the spa home!”, “create an exotic spa in your very own bathroom!” but this oil actually does do something quite special. I used it after I had found my toddler “doing the crossword” on my new, white 1200 thread count bed linen, and my jaw miraculously unclenched itself, my brow un-furrowed, my fingernails gradually worked their way out from the palms of my hands…

Deep Relax is the one, I think, if you work too hard, play too hard, have kids too hard or are generally just alive in the 21st Century. Because it’s almost impossible to switch off, isn’t it? No matter how many times I’m told to “keep the electronics out of the bedroom”, I can’t seem to abide by the rules. If Mr AMR wasn’t an android, it would be easier, but I can’t very well leave him outside the bedroom door. Unless I put him into standby mode.

And as for “Light Relax”, the gentler version of this oil that Aromatherapy Associates make, why bother? I mean, it’s nice it exists, options are nearly always a good thing, but when have you ever thought to yourself, ooh, I’d love to just relax, but not totally. Like, I’ll curl up with a book on the sofa but make sure that the cat continuously claws at my cashmere throw the whole time I’m lying there. Light Relax, Relax Lite. Go for a beach holiday, but take your tax paperwork as reading material. Put on a face mask, but listen to the soundtrack from The Shining. Just relax a little bit. Not too much. Go for a spa day, but take your most annoying work colleague – Barbara from renewals who never stops talking about her dog.

Ha. I’ll shut up now.

Aromatherapy Associates Deep Relax Bath & Shower Oil is £45 at SpaceNK here*.

If it’s pure, hit-with-a-frying-pan sleep-coma you want, then take a look at the pillow spray from This Works. If it’s something more uplifting and jolly, I can highly recommend the Energy Burst drops from NEOM. They work in the bath or shower – as do the Aromatherapy Associates oils. If you only have a shower to work with, just press a little capful of the oil between your palms and pat over your body. I like to just use on my upper body so that I can breathe in the scent – if you apply it to your chest then it stays there for quite an impressive amount of time before it gets washed away!

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

• Sue Hadley
      September 12, 2017 / 9:18 pm

I pick it up much cheaper on eBay and buy inbthe sale after Christmas . Compared to something like a Lush bathbomb- that has no therapeutic properties at all- I think the AA oils are worth it .

1. Lisa
    September 11, 2017 / 11:17 pm

Try full fat milk to get out the ink.I had a ‘creative’ child drawn to Sharpies.

2. Rachel
    September 12, 2017 / 12:30 pm

This is the stuff of magic. I add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and some alcohol (to preserve it, not to drink) and use it as a DIY pillow spray, so much better than the multitude of others I have tried. a sniff from the bottle of the Revive version keeps me awake of the drive home from night shift.

3. DigitalGirl02
    September 12, 2017 / 1:01 pm

Thanks so much for posting this Ruth! I have tried other Aromatherapy Associates products before – all were excellent – so I’m definitely going to give this a go now for those stressy life moments (which feel’s like all the time at the moment). Keep up the great work – my lunch breaks wouldn’t be the same with a sarnie and your gorgeous blog posts – and hope the move went well!

4. Liv
    September 12, 2017 / 3:21 pm

I once made the mistake of smelling the whole range of these oils, like big deep sniffs; all in one go and I got a cracking migraine in 2 mins flat. Obviously wasn’t the brightest thing to do but at least I can vouch for their potency!

5. natalia
    September 12, 2017 / 5:06 pm

I have commented few times, and I write to tell you that I love your reviews!

6. Sarah
    September 12, 2017 / 8:59 pm

I love this bath oil but then I tried Inner Strength bath oil from Aromatherapy Associates …. now that put me into a near coma ….. for some reason I found that one more effective than Deep Relax

7. MM
    September 12, 2017 / 10:42 pm

I’ve had a love affair with Deep Relax for years. For years it’s been my default present for new mums.

During my recent 2nd pregnancy I bought myself a bottle with SpaceNK vouchers I was given by my fabulous friends. I’m breastfeeding twins though and will be for some time.

I’ve always avoided fragrance when breastfeeding – read something about it potentially confusing babies. Maybe this just applies to the early days??

Just checking you use this without issues with gorgeous Ted? It’s pretty strong!

8. kristine
    September 13, 2017 / 4:21 am

I m so happy see this post! Last Christmas i bought both of these exact oils to help my fiance with anxiety and insomnia, worthless to mention they worked like a charm! No other oils even stands close to these unless, of course, you just need just a bit relaxation rather than full mind shutdown! x

9. SomeGirlMel
    September 13, 2017 / 6:41 am

Off topic, but do you ever see John Spanton anymore? I am actually bringing a couple of photos of the color John did for you as inspiration for my colorist! He did a great job adding depth, dimension, and richness to your hair, I wish he was in the States!

10. September 13, 2017 / 6:10 pm

Give me a weeks time I’ll be needing this lol!

11. Anna
    September 16, 2017 / 8:02 pm

Hi Ruth,

Probably not the right place to put this but I wanted to try to make sure you might see it. I just wanted to say a huge thank you for the hair makeover giveaway. I had a wonderful experience at Josh Wood and came out with a fantastic cut and lovely lighter shade. Everyone there was brilliant. I really can’t thank you and them enough.

Good luck with the house hunt. I’ve just completed a move myself this week and despite the stress it was all worth it. I’m sure you will end up in the perfect house in a beautiful location.

All the best

Anna x

• September 17, 2017 / 8:03 pm

Oh that is so good to know, they are amazing in there – congratulations, I’m glad you managed to get in there already! xx

12. September 17, 2017 / 9:08 pm

You are absolutely 100% right about the effectiveness of these oils. I have the 4 in 1 travel set, which I take religiously when I travel, and sometimes use it at home as well. If they set “relax”, they immediately relax you. If they claim to “revive” they do just the same. Unbelievably good products that deliver.