A Week In My Life: September 2017

ruth crilly moving house

Firstly, thank you so very much for all of the wonderful comments on last Sunday’s post – I was feeling so overwhelmed and low and they really bolstered my confidence and boosted my spirits! (Catch up on that post here, if you’re wondering what an earth I’m talking about.)

We’ve been in Bath for just over a week now and things are rather more settled. I still have a queasy, “what an earth are we doing?” sort of feeling in the pit of my stomach now and then, but it’s something that creeps in when I’m tired or stressed, rather than a constant, niggling sense of low-level anxiety. And I’ve realised a few things in the past week:  a) we’ve only moved to Bath, not to, I don’t know, Melbourne – it’s really not that far from London; b) so long as I have internet connection, I can do my job from just about anywhere; c) so long as I have my family, and they’re safe and well, nothing else matters that much.

House-hunting has begun in earnest and I have to say that there are some staggeringly beautiful houses in this part of the world. So I might be persuaded to stay, especially if my Deliveroo habit continues – I’ve had three deliveries in a week, and just about to order my fourth! Goodness, there are some perks to city living – the upload speed on the internet is so fast that I barely have time to type my description box before my Youtube videos finish processing! Also: shopping.

Anyway, I filmed a whole week in my life and here it is – house-moving, cat-spinning, peg-pinning and all. (It’s quite long, so you may want to make some toast or prepare something similar, just for sustenance. I wouldn’t want anyone keeling over mid-flick. I once almost fainted in primary school when I had to hold a barn owl on my arm for half an hour – it was the session before lunch and my energy levels were at rock-bottom. I’ve always needed regular meals, it seems. Bizarre, completely irrelevant anecdote for you there.)

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Poorani
    September 17, 2017 / 9:45 pm

I had a similar experience but with just 1 child 1yr old then. My husband’s office transferred him and we had ended our rental, sold our car and packed everything when suddenly they cancelled it and we were living in a guest house sharing with so many families that came and went in another new city waiting for some decision to be made. It took them a year to finally decide but I went mad with worry. The last 3 months I spent with my parents and that felt better. Now I think fondly of the same guest house that gave me so much stress. I now think of it as a different experience. Kudos to you for managing alone with 2 kids sometimes even without Mr.AMR. This shall pass too. Keep doing things that make you happy. Don’t start on A Little Life now.

2. Elena
    September 17, 2017 / 10:36 pm

Angelica toddling about with your parents, covered in pegs. Brilliant :D

3. Missmouse
    September 17, 2017 / 11:59 pm

Glad to hear it’s going well! X

4. Kalyna
    September 18, 2017 / 1:31 am

Glad you are settling in. Love your posts!

5. Susan Schaefer
    September 18, 2017 / 2:36 am

Dear Ruth, I’ve been wanting to tell you for some time just how much I love your blog, all your posts and updates and photos. I’m one of those Brit-obsessed Americans and I have been since I was a little girl. I would love one day to visit England, but as we are just about to start our second daughter off to college, funding is, shall we say, dubious. So it means a lot to me to have these little peeks at your life, home, and beautiful family. I feel privileged that you share it like you do.
    Ok, I’ve gotten that off my chest. I look forward to hearing about house-hunting! xo from A Small Town In Upstate NY

6. September 18, 2017 / 7:38 am

City life has it´s perks, and a city like Bath is for sure a beautyiful place to live in. But I get the “call of the wilderness” that makes you look for a place on the countryside. Maybe two houses, one for day time and one for the weekend getaway would solve this problem (and keep you occupied).

7. Catherine
    September 18, 2017 / 9:02 am

Love the peg child and also Mr Bear’s face as he twirls round on the chair!

8. Henriette
    September 18, 2017 / 10:16 pm

We had a simular situation last year; sold our house in a week time and didn’t have another house to live in, so we moved in at my brothers place for three months. In the meantime we bought a house that wasn’t build yet (which is under construction now and hope to be finished in June next year) and at the moment we are renting an appartment till our new house is ready!
    So, at the end we will have moved three times in one year !! So now our life is ‘at hold’ since all we can do is waiting….
    Wish you luck finding your dream house!!!

9. Sophie
    September 19, 2017 / 10:52 am

I cried my eyes out when you started crying. I feel with you.
    All the best for you, the kids and Mr. AMR.

*hugs*
    Sophie

10. Swishy
    September 19, 2017 / 1:42 pm

So good to see everyone thriving. On a superficial note that new Dior foundation looks amazing on you. Please review!

11. Kirsty
    September 19, 2017 / 5:05 pm

“I once almost fainted in primary school when I had to hold a barn owl on my arm for half an hour.” That has to be my favourite sentence in a long time :). Good luck to you in your new (ad)venture and thank you, as always for your jolliness. I love watching your blogs – whatever the subject!

12. Diana
    September 19, 2017 / 5:24 pm

Love love your blog and videos! Bath looks lovely :) Good luck house hunting!

13. Jane
    September 19, 2017 / 5:30 pm

Mr Bear and Angelica together are just so cute! You seem to have the most laid back pets, they look like they’ve taken the move in their stride. I think you’ve done really well moving in your circumstances with two young children to take care of. When my husband and I moved it was just us two and we only moved half a mile from our old place, but I still nearly burst a blood vessel with the stress of it (we had a really crappy estate agent who just wound me up!). I think you should give yourself a pat on the back!

14. Clare
    September 19, 2017 / 10:01 pm

Oh Ruth! So enjoyed watching this. Loving the panty liners and the soldier . My husband has a full sized cardboard storm trouper that comes with us – don’t ask!! We moved out of our house this week as we are having work done and I know exactly how you are feeling. I am so shattered right now. My two are older but I do remember those tough sleepless nights. My heart went out yo you watching you and those two gorgeous little ones. Hope you settle in Bath – it looks so lovely – I’ve been once and loved it. You are doing great and you still look gorgeous. Far better than I look right now I can assure you x

15. Jemima
    September 20, 2017 / 5:10 pm

Delightful as always. I have enjoyed a glass of red whilst cooking pea and prawn risotto (such a fab autumnal recipe – the others are having it with chicken too). Quick and easyish. You are just so lovely! And how exciting to be hunting on Rightmove again! We are still waiting on the progress of our move. I love Angelica’s smile and scary face. And her spinning Mr Bear on the chair made me cackle! (Sp?). I am sure you have a zillion friends, but if you fancy a meet in the epic `Victoria Park in Bath, then let me know! I will bring my two (4 and 2). And with or without a meet – you have to venture there! X

16. Julie from Boston, Ma
    September 20, 2017 / 6:17 pm

You are an endearing gem! My “babies” are now 25 and 26. It went by in a flash!
    Daughter got a masters from Oxford 2017 and we had a delightful visit to Bath.

17. Natasha Korff
    September 20, 2017 / 10:04 pm

ment on your last few posts and video’s. I had such a great giggle about your shafty hair tong. And the lite relax oil. hahahaha. Barbara from renewals. I could see her in my mind’s eye. I bet she has a really annoying voice. Like nanny Fran.
    And for some reason your photo of the duck on the bag was just really tragic. Followed by woofles behind bars. Tragic!
    And then your move…. I am traumatized. I have bonded with your house. From before you moved back in. But I wish you all the best. The kids look like they’ve settled already. They really are delightful. And once they start talking, it’s a laugh a day ‘at least’ My eight year old had this conversation with me the other day. All in one breath : ” Mom, *David says he wants to become a lawyer, do cops get free doughnuts? ” What? Policemen in our country don’t even eat doughnuts. Anyway. Strength and honour to you!

• Natasha Korff
      September 20, 2017 / 10:05 pm

oops. It is supposed to say. Meant to comment.

18. Sara
    September 21, 2017 / 12:12 pm

Read A Little Life – it’s upsetting but I absolutely adored it. My favourite book of all time x

• Lucy
      October 3, 2017 / 7:05 am

I am just working through this – on page 575. It’s a very rewarding read and I think it’s up there in my top ten. Jude stays in your heart.

19. Keapix
    September 21, 2017 / 6:14 pm

Welcome to Bath :)

20. Helen
    September 25, 2017 / 12:19 am

Oh My god.
    All the light we cannot see is AMAZING! Pick it next if you’ve not read it yet!