How I Style My Shorter Hair

styling mid length hair

Pretty self-explanatory, this video – how I style my shorter length hair. I either let it air-dry, twisting the strands every now and again to give it a bit of a tousled texture (you can do the same thing if you use a hair-dryer, too) or I wave it using a curling wand. (See post here for a good, if a little smutty, recommendation.)

I need to get my act together and do a post on my favourite “undone” hair products, but energy levels are at an all-time low. My current hair routine involves: getting up, trying not to die of exhaustion, acknowledging that I have hair and it is stuck to my head, going to bed.

Ha.

You can find a list of some good, no-maintenance hair products underneath the video if you click on through to Youtube. I shall endeavour to expand on it once I’ve tested out the new Sam McKnight hairsprays* – they look brilliant, but I have to read the instructions properly and see what each one does. They all seem to be aimed at messy, sexy, effortless hair, so that’s a good start…

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. September 27, 2017 / 6:57 am

Sounds like my hair routine for the first year with two kids. These days, as I need to go to the office, I added: brush it, twist it up, pin it in place, forget about it.

2. Jane
    September 27, 2017 / 10:06 am

Great timing Ruth, I’m growing my hair (took your hair pic to the salon to show my stylist actually) and having had really short hair most of my adult life I really need styling tips. My hair is bob length at the moment so I think it will be about another year before it reaches the length I want, do you have any tips on growing it and keeping it healthy?

3. September 27, 2017 / 2:09 pm

I have short to mid-length hair. I really couldn’t imagine having long hair and having to style it and wash and brush. I live a hectic life, and I really have mine cut into a style where I can just wash and go!

4. September 27, 2017 / 2:59 pm

Love your hair like this! I have just got mine cut shorter and it is a dream, so easy to maintain. I love the video, it has given me so many great ideas – thanks so much. Hope you can catch some zzzs’s tonight!

Holly

5. Rosie
    September 27, 2017 / 7:16 pm

SUCH a pretty cut! I’m actually dying to hear your thoughts on the silk pillowcase you mentioned a while back that you might be testing out (might have been a Slip?). I’m considering investing in one of these for the benefit of my face AND my hair, and would love to know what your opinion is, and if you’ve noticed any differences since using it. Thank you so much!

• September 27, 2017 / 10:11 pm

OK, I must do a post. I think that it does work, but OH MY GOD it doesn’t need to be that expensive. There are others that are more affordable! x

• Rosie
        September 30, 2017 / 9:05 pm

hahaha my thoughts exactly! I’ll look forward to your post and thanks!

6. Suzanne
    September 28, 2017 / 10:11 pm

Hi Ruth, how do you stop your moisturiser/make up from making your fringe greasy? I tie mine back to cleanse, etc and put my make up on but then it invariably gets in my face at some point during the day. I can’t wear a head band all the time, it’s driving me nuts! Yours always looks great, any tips please? x

• Sarah
      September 29, 2017 / 9:34 am

Dry shampoo really helps!

7. October 4, 2017 / 6:35 pm

The cut just above the collar bones works So. Well. for your face! You have a stunning jawline so it really is your look. I agree that the ends of your hair are really telling, especially for my own fine, quite breakable hair. I keep it long because it distracts from the ends but with these sorts of products I would feel much more confident in the ends. Also you’re right about mumsy – if just left, a short hairstyle can look a bit drab so these super quick tips are really useful just to lift the entire look.