Unicorn Boots and Three Ways to Wear Them

christian louboutin moulamax 100 boots

I didn’t realise when I wrote about my new Louboutin Moulamax boots that they already had a bit of an online reputation. They received quite a lot of press coverage earlier this year, pre-launch, when stylist Samantha McMillen posted an Instagram showing what happened when she ran her hands over the sequinned finish. The sequins flipped from silver to rainbow as her fingers moved over the surface of the boots, and she dubbed it “unicorn skin”.

Christian Louboutin Moulamax 100 Sequin Boots

That somehow passed me by – perhaps because I have developed an inbuilt filter that mutes any mention of unicorns, mermaids and cupcakes – but here I am nonetheless, many months later, the proud owner of some pretty outrageous disco-tastic sequinned boots. I’ve fallen more in love with them as the week has progressed, partly due to the fact that I can now – after a bit of practice – walk in them without adopting that weird, bent-over posture that you have to do when you’re wearing heels that are too high to handle. You know when you look as though you have a lower back pain problem and/or an invisible bank safe strapped across your shoulders? I am now fully upright in them and only totter when something small, like a toddler or a cat, darts between my ankles.

christian louboutin moulamax 100 boots

So yeah, the Christian Louboutin Unicorn Boots are getting better every day. And now I know what  I’ll wear them with, it’s only a matter of time before they actually make it out of the house. As promised, I’ve done some outfit photos with three different looks – casual, semi-sexy and glitzy – so that you too can wonder at the sheer versatility of a sequinned boot.**

Casual

First option: unicorn boots thrown on carelessly with just a pair of pale blue jeans (my default denim of choice) and a grey cable-knit jumper.

christian louboutin moulamax 100 boots

The jeans are oldish Abercrombie & Fitch ones, but I think they are identical to the Simone ones here. The jumper is from Vero Moda at ASOS here* – it was £38.

christian louboutin moulamax 100 boots

I do love a bit of fancy footwear with a completely pedestrian outfit. It’s like grey cashmere with red lipstick – just one surprising, bold feature that jumps out but at the same time seems so effortless. If you were afraid of looking too “done” in your glitzy disco-ball boots, then this would be the way to wear them.

Semi-Sexy

The semi-sexy outfit is also an option for the cautious fashionista, and it starts with a dress that flatters but has nothing of the bodycon about it.

christian louboutin unicorn boots

In fact, it’s the sort of dress you’d wear to a daytime lunch, probably – it’s warm, cosy, a jumper dress sexed-up. (Find it here* at Hush. It’s one of the best and most useful dresses I’ve found in ages.) But pull on those dancing boots and the Alexandra dress is a whole other ballgame – the shape suddenly reveals itself as being slightly 80s, the length of the dress seems shorter, more daring, the effect is more leggy. Go on, Louboutin Moulamax with your transformative powers!

Glitzy

christian louboutin sequin moulamax 100 boots

I’m not keeping this dress. It’s so short. I leant over to shut the door and I felt a distinct breeze on my lower regions. It’s been a long time since I wore anything that short and I simply don’t have the energy for it. Because it takes a lot of brain energy to wear something that’s only an inch below your hoo-ha; you have to constantly be telling yourself not to do things. Don’t put your bag on the floor, don’t bend over to pull the chair back from the table, don’t sit on the chair, if you do sit on the chair then immediately cover your entire lap with a napkin, and if you do sit on the chair then for Pete’s sake don’t even attempt to get up again!

christian louboutin sequin moulamax 100 boots

If you have a good memory for things like that, and by things like that I mean “not being able to do anything normal with your body in public, ever”, then this sequin dress is for you. (Joking aside, it’s not that short, I’m just paranoid. And it’s quite stunning – the colour is beautiful and the fit is very good, considering that sequinned dresses are usually cut like sacks. The zip on mine was a bit shoddy, but you just have to be careful doing it up. I got mine on ASOS here* – it was £68.)

Christian Louboutin Moulamax 100 Sequin Boots

You can find the Moulamax at Net-a-Porter here* but I did promise a high-street alternative, and I think that these* from New Look are rather brilliant for £34.99!

louboutin unicorn boots

**apologies for “boot” singular. It’s a pet peeve of mine, but it was a style decision not to use the plural. Forgive me, but never forgive me if I ever say “trouser” or “jean” – “I’m pairing a black jean with a red shoe”. Stop it.

© 2018 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Anja
    October 21, 2017 / 5:18 am

You look amazing in the Hush dress! All slurry and sexy, but really comfy at the same time!

2. October 21, 2017 / 8:20 am

I love your unicorn boots with the jumper dress. And I’m with you on “pant” and “trouser” — that drives me banana. ;)

3. MissFitz
    October 21, 2017 / 8:54 am

Team the boot with ‘a red lip’ and ‘a smoky eye’… So glad you mentioned that tendency. It brings out the Grumpy Old Woman in me…(and she’s never far away.)

4. Sandie
    October 21, 2017 / 9:34 am

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! I think you could quite possibly wear these Unicorn boots with everything and anything!!

5. October 21, 2017 / 10:50 am

I love it when you get into grammar. I’m another grammar freak!! Great styles!!!! I’m going to be on-line shopping during the storm today.

6. Karen
    October 21, 2017 / 1:50 pm

They are lovely… Although so impractical!! Haha! A lovely treat!
    Photo 8 has a glint in your eye that you have spotted some sick up or nappy overfill…or cat poo!! Tee hee!
    Dexter looks gorgeous too!!
    I will have to try heels. Twins are now one year… Must try!!

7. SueM
    October 21, 2017 / 2:05 pm

Ruth, you look stunning as always but my feet ache just looking at those boot. It’s a Pavlovian response to the times in my youth I put fashion/looks before comfort and I just won’t do it anymore. Of course when I say “youth” I mean as recently as last year (looking at you Brian Atwood pumps). I’m 59. Enjoy them while ye may.

8. Abigail
    October 21, 2017 / 2:55 pm

If I were ten years younger, the boots would be a sure thing but too old now…*sniff*

9. Margaret
    October 21, 2017 / 2:55 pm

Those really are some kind of fabulous! You look flat out traffic stopping-ly GORGEOUS in the jeans and grey jumper!! More proof you can make anything look appealing. Still, as usual, it’s your writing and sense of humor I love most. Enjoy your fancy (yet, surprisingly, almost practical!) footwear, you Sexy Beast

10. Emma
    October 21, 2017 / 4:11 pm

I honestly didn’t think in a million years I could ever want a pair of glittery ‘unicorn’ boots but now I do….! You look gorgeous x

11. Savannah
    October 21, 2017 / 4:37 pm

Omg my friend has these in the pump version and I just died when I saw them! So stunning!! x http://www.justsavxnnah.com

12. Emily
    October 21, 2017 / 4:47 pm

Ok, I inadvertently just lied on your Instagram post – I love them with denim & gray jumper the most. Sooo cool.

13. October 21, 2017 / 7:48 pm

I looooove this boots! I really want this type of boots for a while but tbh I can’t find an occasion to wear them! Ha! Love all of these alternative ways of wearing them.
    Love
    Pili
    To Read With Tea

14. October 21, 2017 / 8:01 pm

Goodness they are DIVINE, they’re giving me total Ziggy Stardust vibes.

15. October 21, 2017 / 8:20 pm

I love them with a jean it’s a very nice pop in the outfit ! I would love to get one pair of these !
    bookslipsticksandtravels.wordpress.com

16. October 22, 2017 / 1:48 pm

The Hush dress and the boots look so good in this pairing. Very french and effortless.

17. October 24, 2017 / 1:35 pm

They are fabulous Ruth! I especially love the casual look. Also, that Hush dress looks great on you (next to your unicorn boots look, the styling of this dress on the Hush website seams quite tame…).

18. October 25, 2017 / 4:18 pm

These unicorn boots are an amazing find! Thank you for posting these examples of how versatile the boots are. The dress is short, but it looks super cute on you. We love the boots look with the sweater dress but an absolute favorite so far, is your sweater and jeans with these sweet little heels. We might even try them with the Amanda Uprichard mock turtleneck suede dress or keyhole halter. You’ve got our ideas flowing! (http://Peccadilly.com)