Beauty Favourites: October 2017

October 2017 Beauty Favourites

I spent the majority of my allotted filming time for this October Favourites video clarting about with my hair, trying to arrange it so that I didn’t look like a Cluedo character.

(Miss Scarlett, if you’re asking. There’s something about blonde hair of a certain length, styled in a certain way, that – when worn with a high-necked top – will always have an air of the Cluedo character about it.)

October 2017 Beauty Favourites

Anyway, after much ado, I finally settled on “scraped back”, which allowed me to fully concentrate on the matter at hand (talking about favourite beauty products) rather than being constantly distracted by my appearance on the camera’s flip-out screen. Because if it’s not a Cluedo character staring out at me, then all I can see is a medieval pageboy called, I dunno, Phillip.

October 2017 Beauty Favourites

Or a horn-player from Henry VIII’s court. Called Barrington. Or a sensitive, prolific Elizabethan poet called Randall.

October 2017 Beauty Favourites

There are a few rather protracted waffling sessions in this video, including one on retinols and one on shower gels that don’t irritate your private parts. I had to cut some of the more ridiculous waffles because the video was far too long but there’s plenty left in to keep you mildly entertained for a few minutes. And on a more serious note, I have found some excellent beauty bits this month – skincare with proper, visible results, an affordable nail polish with incredible longevity and an all-in-one makeup palette that (for once) doesn’t leave me cold.

You can find a shortlist of the favourites beneath the video pane, but for now – press play!

Colab Dry Shampoo at Boots

Dior Forever Perfect Mousse Foundation

Charlotte Tilbury Instant Look in a Palette in “beauty glow”*

Clinique Pep-Start Lip Mask*

Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Nail Polish*

This Works No Wrinkles Night Repair*

Silken Favours for REN Gift Sets*

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Kadriya Kudyakova
    November 12, 2017 / 11:07 pm

Hi Ruth, I liked your sweater! Where is it from? Good luck with the move. Kadriya from US

• Kadriya Kudyakova
        November 16, 2017 / 8:17 pm

Thank you! Xo

2. Anna W
    November 12, 2017 / 11:47 pm

Elizabethan you say?
    Poet you say?
    #swiperightforRandall

• November 13, 2017 / 1:21 pm

Hahaha!!! GSOH, enjoys crochet and lute-playing in his free time.

3. November 13, 2017 / 8:11 am

I am loving the This Works brand, it’s still new enough to me so I don’t know all their products yet, but I’m always interested to hear more so thanks for this!!

Rebecca
    xx

4. November 13, 2017 / 8:45 am

I wouldn´t mind looking like Miss Scarlet, I like her style!

5. November 13, 2017 / 3:09 pm

I appreciate the Miss Scarlet picture. Being from Argentina I had no idea what you meant when I watched the video but I found it funny anyways because I imagined something along those lines, especially coming from you. You are hilarious!

I found a blue within that line of Sally Hansen that lasted surprisingly long as well. I think the step two may refer to the top coat? Maybe… this really may be the best nail polish on earth, ha!

Alina

6. C
    November 13, 2017 / 3:21 pm

Hi Ruth! While I appreciate your tireless commitment to testing things, there’s no need to lather up the lady bits! Soap can be really irritating and throw the whole pH of your vagina off, which can create all kinds of problems. Best to use plain old water for a rinse and otherwise let your vagina take care of itself. I’ve heard people compare vaginas as self cleaning ovens, but I hate that somparison for a variety of reasons. It seems rather anti-feminist to compare your vagina to a household appliance, and really, does the self-cleaning setting actually get your oven clean?

7. Sandie
    November 13, 2017 / 7:30 pm

Kittens riding Unicorns! Yes I remember!! Good luck with the house move so you can unpack and wear again!

8. Laura
    November 15, 2017 / 12:28 am

Hi Ruth! Love your hairstyle at the start Of The video..did you style it yourself? I’d love to know how you did it (have just had my second baby,a week old and with a toddler so any tips to make me look less dishevelled much appreciated!!) x

9. Hannah C
    November 16, 2017 / 5:16 pm

I’ve just ordered the Clinique lip mask. Bought Esho Sculpt a few weeks ago but although it plumps it also reddens the area under my nose, making me look less Angelina Jolie and more “Angie the glue sniffer from the precinct.”

10. November 16, 2017 / 9:03 pm

Love Love Love your hair Ruth!