New House Surprises and Taking My Time

georgian house interiors blog

It’s a funny old thing, buying a house. You don’t get to spend much time in it before you do the deal – you go twice, three times if you can wangle it, any more and people get irritated – and then you sit on the sofa in your old house for months on end whilst all of the legal stuff happens, repeatedly scrolling through the pictures on Rightmove and scrutinising the floorplan and trying to piece it all together in your head.

And then you actually move in, and all of the previous owners’ furniture has gone and there are big holes where the telly used to be and light fittings dangling from the walls and bits of peeling wallpaper where the bedhead was and the carpet never looks quite as “spotless” as it did when you were viewing and the “immaculate” bathroom has a wonky toilet-roll holder and limescale on the taps. And that’s if you’re buying somewhere that needs “absolutely no work” (that was a big draw, for us, with this house); if you know that there’s some tarting up to be done then that’s a whole other ballgame again. It’s always five hundred times worse than you initially thought, when you arrive to the empty shell and see the extent of the rising damp or the rankness of the “original” kitchen or open the oven to be greeted with some sort of cremated alien species stuck to an ancient baking tray.

But anyway, it’s fortunate to be able to buy a house at all in this country with the ridiculous state of the market, so I’m not complaining, merely observing that things are never quite what they seem! When you view a house – unless it’s vacant – you view it with someone’s cosy life in place. We saw ours bedecked with the most incredible collection of vintage and antique furniture, fresh flowers in the hallway, huge paintings on the walls – things we don’t currently (might never!) have. When you eventually move into a house, all of that familiar cosiness is gone, and unless you’ve moved from a house that’s similar in size and style there’ll be a period of time when things feel a little thin on the ground. Cold.

georgian house interiors blog

So it’s all quite sparse at the moment, apart from the kitchen (where we live about 98% of the time – we should move a big bed in, a la Charlie’s grandparents in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!) and the utility room, which is perpetually crowded with baskets of laundry and boxes of things that need unpacking. But I don’t want to rush into things, even though we don’t need to really do any building work or decorating. I feel panicked, as though we need to finish it and have it all picture perfect, but really it would be a mistake to start buying things willy nilly. Because you have to live in a place for a while before you get to know it, and you need to get to know it before you start putting armchairs all over the place and scattering coffee tables about and choosing crazy wallpaper for the downstairs loo and making idiotic carpet decisions. Only when you’ve lived somewhere for a while will you know that the sun comes in through the kitchen window between 8am and 10.30am and creates the most glorious sun-trap right in front of the table. Or that the back bedroom is cold at night, or that the study is so cosy that it would actually be better as a smaller bedroom or nursery than a study, or that the stairwell gets dark so the lighting needs to be good and functional, not cool-looking and ridiculously dim, or that the floor in the hall gets dirty quickly so it’s not a good place for a light-coloured rug… (These are general examples, not related to the new house – our biggest discoveries so far have been that the top floor is about five degrees warmer than the rest of the house and that a dressing room quickly becomes the “dump all of the washed laundry and clothes you can’t be bothered to hang up” room. Lucky to have a dressing room, I’ve wanted one for the whole of my adult life, but I’ve realised that I’m so incurably messy I should be given less space, not more.)

But in the same way that I want to get to know the house, take my time with thinking about the interior design, read magazines and books and trawl the internet for inspiration, Mr AMR (my husband, to the uninitiated) wants to get things done. I want to make mood boards with my sister-in-law Ffion, who has a great interiors blog (read it here) and knows all the tricks of the trade; I want to dither about in carpet shops, flick through heavy books of wallpaper samples, create Pinterest boards. Get it all perfect. Mr AMR wants to saunter about wearing a tool belt, drill holes into things, turn the electricity on and off to do important (dangerous) things with the wiring. He wants to finish it all and he wants to finish it now. (Though he has been unbelievably handy with his DIY, so I must be careful what I say.) He has no patience for my Period Living dream house, where – in my imagination – I’m photographed curled up on a Chesterfield wearing cashmere leg-warmers, a pair of wire-framed spectacles perched on my head, one of those huge dogs (Wolf hound? Deer hound?) posed artfully at my feet. (I’d have to borrow one from the chap up the road, the cat would never tolerate another dog, especially one the size of a horse.) HA!

georgian house interiors blog

The worrying thing is that I’m only half jesting about the dream house thing. I’ve been imagining this house over and over again for around twenty years and now I’m in it I can easily live with blank walls and bare light fittings until I source my fantasy furniture and lighting and annoying, dust-collecting items. Perhaps I should just go with the flow, get the place feeling “lived in” and “cosy” (Mr AMR’s favourite phrases) but then I feel as though I’ll just lose the motivation and the initial, magical enthusiasm.

So what do you think? Are you the sort of person who would take their time with things, or do you like to get stuff done and dusted? I’m intrigued. Let me know. Having a toddler and a baby does naturally slow down house plans anyway – I can barely make decisions about what to have on my toast, let alone whether or not to have shelves built in the living room alcoves! – but I am so tempted to just contemplate things (aka sleep) for a while.

This post kicks off a whole new category on A Model Recommends, imaginatively called INTERIORS. I’ll be documenting my design decisions, doing some fantasy furniture shopping and hopefully posting up the mood boards I make and inspiration I find. So lots more to come, but do tell me if there’s anything specific you want to know. Within reason, obviously. Maybe I should do a Q&A video? If you think that’s a good idea (just thought of it, sorry to end with a load of activities for you to do!) then pop your question in the comments below.

Ffion’s interiors blog is here, if you’re looking for some new reading material to bookmark!

(Clock is the Billingsgate from Newgate Clocks – I bought mine from Heals here*. Update: it’s out of stock at Heals but on John Lewis here*.)

© 2018 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Louise
    January 24, 2018 / 6:33 pm

So excited that you’re going to be blogging about interiors,the only thing I love more than beauty. Apart from family of course. Would love to hear about paint decisions. Farrow and Ball would be mad not to want to work with you on your beautiful Georgian home. Will you be scouring auction houses and antique shops for furniture? Your thoughts on style,size and scale for the house would be interesting.

2. Anne
    January 24, 2018 / 7:10 pm

Definitely do a Q & A. I would love to know how it is you went from ultra modern / mid century to Georgian grandeur.

• Julia
      January 25, 2018 / 2:21 am

Ooh yes, Anne – great question! I’m curious about that too, Ruth.

• Heather
      January 25, 2018 / 3:20 am

I second this! Love both, but I’m interested to know how/why you made the shift.

• Catherine
      January 25, 2018 / 2:36 pm

agree!!! they’re my two favourite styles!

3. Maria
    January 24, 2018 / 7:15 pm

It’s so lovely that you’ve got the house of your dreams! Definitely take your time and make the most of decorating and furnishing. It’s a fun process that I wouldn’t want to rush through.
    Would also like to add a thought though… how do you go about picking things you absolutely love and decorating walls etc. when you have young children?
    My little family (2 under 2) are moving soon and I’m thinking that although I’d like to buy perfect “pieces” what’s the point when it will all get wrecked by the toddlers? Do you really want to be scared that they have crayons near precious things or cross when the inevitable happens? I have resigned myself to just second hand things or very cheap things everywhere but our bedroom – that will be my sanctuary!
    I can’t wait to see more of your interior posts.

Maria x

• Lyla
      January 25, 2018 / 4:30 pm

I feel you, I spent the big money on the stuff in our bedroom and office and formal dining room and went super cheap on the living room. I had been about to pull the trigger on insanely expensive living room furniture but at the last minute got cold feet and when my then three year old had multiple potty accidents on the cheap sofas and jumped on them so much she ruined the springs I didn’t care. She’s nine now, the sofas still look good (dark gray for the win) and in a year or so I’ll bite the bullet and replace them with my dream. Or not. I mean, teenagers are messy too right? Maybe when she moves out …

4. Sarah Thomas
    January 24, 2018 / 7:18 pm

I moved in with my boyfriend of fifteen years in September last year to a lovely flat and we thought well we’ll just give it time before we decorate. Little did we know how long it would take to sort out all the boxes, only eighty one of which were mine hah! after moving two houses into one. I feel like you do in as much as I want to waft and look at furniture and paint colours but the bathroom is freezing,the shower pretty rubbish, windows drafty so now I don’t know what to do first and have temporarily given up while I am still trying to find room for all our joint chopping boards and kitchen knives. On the upside , he still hasn’t realised that we are not using Fairy Platinum which he insisted on as I have been filling up the bottle with ordinary green fairy. He keeps saying how much better platinum is than green. Haha. Anyway, very much looking forward to mood boards for rooms with high ceilings, especially light fittings and if you could find me a super comfortable xl sofa with a reasonably high back, that would be great! Good luck with you new house xx

• January 24, 2018 / 8:00 pm

Hahaha, this made me laugh so much!! Fairy Platinum indeed… : )
      x

5. Kim P
    January 24, 2018 / 7:41 pm

Yay! So excited that you will be starting a new interiors aspect to your blog. We moved house the week before Christmas. We knew we were getting a project but I’m not sure we realised the extent of it. Like you say we spent about 15mins in the house before made an offer! The house had lino on every floor and had around 60 years worth of dirt to clean! We are a long way off decorating the house as we have to start from scratch but a girl can dream.

Have you thought about buying some second hand furniture to start you off? You can get some fantastic bargains and if you change your mind it’s not the end of the world. I would recommend reclamation yards too, especially if you are after a ‘Period Living’ house!

6. Lisa
    January 24, 2018 / 7:42 pm

I just recently watched your Palm Springs videos because I’m traveling there in March. You had such a love for mid century modern (like myself) I’ve been following you a long time. The videos have made me more excited!

When I was in my 20’s I was always in a hurry to get everything done. As I’ve aged I’ve learned to relax a bit and not rush. Take your time with it and enjoy the process.

7. Laura
    January 24, 2018 / 7:48 pm

I can’t leave it.
    We moved in last December. It’s ALMOST done now. I have a 5 year old and an 18month old.

We decided one room at a time, nothing else but that room.
    We did the kids rooms first, it was i.portant that they had their own cosy, safe happy place, the move was quite hard on my eldest.
    Then we did our bedroom. I NEEDED that done, somewhere calm to retreat to at the end of the day.

Lounge next, kitchen, dining room and conservatory were after that.
    All that’s left is the bathroom, hall is in progress ( it was cheaper to do than the bathroom) and the garden in the spring.

We didn’t have a huge budget so that made things easier, limited choices!
    If I had a house as beautiful as yours I would be chomping at the bit to make it ‘home’

And I cannot bloody wait for your interior posts.

8. Nina Harris
    January 24, 2018 / 7:49 pm

I think you are wise taking your time. I rushed this house (due to external pressure) and now I feel I should have made different choices. It’s fine but not mine if you know what I mean.
    Looking forward to the new Interiors subject matter!

9. Emma
    January 24, 2018 / 8:08 pm

Hi Ruth,

Your house looks amazing! Can totally relate to this post having moved into our house six months ago! I do quite like to get stuck in and get started with things and sometimes it stresses me out that it can’t all be done and perfect right this second! I sometimes wish I could just click my fingers and it would look exactly how we want it to look! But we have taken our time with it and have started by doing more practical things, such as lighting, and any repairs or replacements of fixtures and fittings. We’ve done some decorating upstairs but still not done anything down stairs yet, and I’m glad that we have waited because as you say, it’s good to get a feel for the house. We have changed our minds about a few things since living in the house for several months and I think we would have regretted it had we rushed in and tried to decorate it all at the beginning! You are right though, when you think about it you only get to view a house a couple of times before deciding to buy, which seems a bit mad really considering it’s the place you are going to be living in for the next x amount of years! I remember noticing all these things once we had moved in that I hadn’t even clocked when viewing the house, some good and some bad, and I think it does take several months to a year to feel fully settled in a new house. I think it’s a good idea to get started on the practical things, DIY etc…it’s great that Mr AMR is so keen ! And maybe in terms of colour schemes etc , keep planning on the pintrest boards. We’ve bought furniture and accessories that are quite neutral in terms of colour, so that when we do inevitably change our minds about the arrangement of the rooms, we can still use these things and they will go with most colour schemes etc… or if there is a rug or amazing throw or cushion or bedspread that you like then those are good things to buy as you can always find a place for them. Might be good to get some of those things to cosy the place up a bit. Anyway, good luck and looking forward to seeing the progression with the house…it’s going to be amazing! X

10. Stacey
    January 24, 2018 / 8:28 pm

I think it’s d a good idea to live in a house for a while, see where the light hits, see where you want to sit etc etc
    Our house is Edwardian and we moved from a tiny cottage so we had to buy everything! 3 years on and we’re still adding bits to rooms and repainting (we document it on Instagram under @end_of_the_row if you’re interested) It will all be worth it in the end, good luck.x

11. Alicka
    January 24, 2018 / 8:40 pm

I am one of those that wants to do it now and do it perfectly. And it serves me right that we have bought our dream house at the top end of our budget with me off work until 18.6.2020 … So we get to live in the house before doing it. It annoys me so much especially since houses is my trade my bread and my life…. This is our last house so whatever we do it will have to be exactly as we want it no compromise… And walls will have to come down, all of those stupid little box rooms one by one 1m2 each left behind by the old owners that loved storage rooms and doors (I assume, as to why the heck would you need so many) …. I could designate each for one part of the pram and the other for carseat, one room for each wellie perhaps…. I want it now but cannot. In the mean time I might have to sign post the loo room as explaining it is the 87th door on the right behind the stairs gets old

I will absolutely enjoy interior series, taking inspiration for our project or just to brighten a dull day

• January 24, 2018 / 9:45 pm

Hahaha! I bet that’s an interesting floorplan?

12. Jo
    January 24, 2018 / 9:25 pm

We too moved into our dream Victorian house a week before Christmas. Then two days after Christmas were away for a week. Now we are back living here properly struggling with draughty windows and a murmuratiin if starlings roosting in our hedge….oh.the smell!!! We now have builders stripping out the top floor for a new roof to go on. Budgets are already overrun as we could not cope with the grotty kitchen so have put new countertops and tiles up just to tide us over until we can afford the kitchen project late next year. It is so exciting but also a huge money pit! Besides the roof and the top floor we are going to take our time. I want this house to be my idea of perfection. I’m so looking forward to seeing your plans and hopefully picking up some tips from you!

13. Amanda
    January 24, 2018 / 10:14 pm

I wish I’d read this post 8 months ago when I moved into my first house with my partner. I’m very much in your camp, you need to live a little in order to understand the space and what you need from it otherwise you make rash decisions and end up with furniture that’s getting in the way and preventing you buying other furniture that you’ve decided you actually need (we bought a huge coffee table and a nest of tables that mean we can’t now fit an additional arm chair in the living room, I like to think we’ve learnt from this mistake and are taking our time with the other rooms before purchasing everything we like the look of without thinking it through first!).

14. Jill
    January 24, 2018 / 10:20 pm

Ruth,
    You are such a good writer. You write the same way you talk, and that’s my favorite style to read. Hope that made sense.
    I have to get into a home and get the feel of it, get to know it…wait for the inspiration to come to me for each room, each corner. I have friends who seem to tackle it all in a week, or in a month and it looks like they’ve lived there for years. I kind of enjoy “the process”. I think a video about your Home and interior design, etc. would be very enjoyable. Plus, you get to love on two sweet babies; the hardest job and the best job!
    Hugs,
    Jill

15. Sheena
    January 24, 2018 / 10:43 pm

We live in a 2 up 2 down scenario with a newborn and I’m contemplating using my oven as storage.. small spaces are so difficult to continually come up with new ideas on where to (hide) store stuff. It is a house from the 1930’s era so when we moved in there was some interesting decor & a faulty towers style carpet.. which I kind of miss as it gave the place a vibe similar to the carpet used in the Blur Song 2 video! I ended up just stripping it all back and painting the entire house in an ivory white and neutral carpets on the stairs, landing & bedrooms.. I wouldn’t rush into decorating as you simply can’t do it all at once. It takes time to gather quirky pieces of furniture & choose the right things.
    Would love to read more blogs on Interiors & hear your updates :) good luck in your new home

16. January 24, 2018 / 10:56 pm

I’m definitely the ‘get it done and dusted’ type!

x Mariya

17. Lindsey Amtmann
    January 25, 2018 / 12:00 am

I’d like to hear your thoughts on strategy, or non strategy. We’ve been in this house 12 years and the must do things got done and the “save for later” items now feel like musts. Do I do each room one at a time? Or do I do categories sub as all floors (rip up all carpet, refinish original hardwoods, then get rid of awful linoleum in baths and kitchen), then, perhaps, key furniture pieces for each room (child is no longer a baby so we can have a decent coffee table, filing cabinets for bedside tables are awful, etc), or go directly to art on the walls for each semi bare room? Room by room seems to make sense but when I get looking at bathroom flooring and counters and art I inevitably see great flooring for the kitchen and stairs and bedrooms and think maybe I should tackle all floors….. meanwhile feeling overwhelmed and need to dive in somewhere!

18. Jacqueline
    January 25, 2018 / 2:39 am

Ruth, this is very exciting! I’ve been following you for years and never commented before, but as we now have the same hair cut and new house predicament I think its time!

I just bought a new house in Sydney, Australia which needed quite a bit of work. We completely renovated the kitchen and bathroom as well as repainting, new hardwood floors and carpet throughout and did this all in 6 weeks before we moved in (we were living with my parents in the interim so were very motivated to have it completed ha!). But in a way we still have a very blank canvas to work with. A lot of the elements that bring in personality and that individual warmth of a home are still to be decided – pendant lights, window treatments, most of the furniture and artwork etc. I would love to pick all of these things now, but have done this before and ended up with a home that wasn’t quite us in the end. The people that bought our last home also bought most of the furniture with it, so at least they liked it and now we get to start from scratch. I plan on taking it room by room, starting with the living areas because we love to have people over and then our bedroom and keeping the doors shut on the other bedrooms until we get there!

19. Emily
    January 25, 2018 / 2:53 am

YAY for interiors! My husband and I just bought our first house and we honestly think that waiting until the closing date to get the keys and get in there might kill us. This just might get me through :)

20. January 25, 2018 / 6:13 am

Really looking forward to more interiors posts and your inspiration/mood boards for the style of house!
    We are currently renovating a Victorian Terrace, we go round in circles with our decision making but want to get it right so that side of me knows we need to take our time but I also get frustrated that things are not how I want them and the biohazard shower (remnants from the old owners that will never be clean) may be the last thing that we do. It will all be worth it though. Good luck Ruth x

• January 25, 2018 / 9:11 am

Meant *remnants of mould in te shower* from the old owners as the house was not the cleanest when we moved in! Fun times lol!

21. Laura
    January 25, 2018 / 7:43 am

We (I) was suckered in by low lighting and lots of scented candles when we bought our dream farmhouse, I feel in love with the big windows, high ceilings and beautiful doors..!! When reality hit on the day we got the keys it was a bit of a shocker, it was filthy, damp, the stairs had dry rot and required a steep learning curve. We didn’t have a massive budget and I quickly realised that I have expensive interiors tastes!! We’ve now been here 5 years and it’s still not quite there, plenty of blank walls and it took 4 and half years and 4 different paint colours to figure out the purpose of one of the reception rooms. However, I’m glad we took our time, it enabled me to get a feel for the house and how we’d use it. The bits I did rush into I now dislike and I’m desperate to change much to the other half’s despair. So take your time would be my advice and enjoy it because I would love to do it all again. I can’t wait to see your blog!!

22. Kate
    January 25, 2018 / 7:46 am

Exciting! My priority is always to sort the bedrooms and make one living space cosy and habitable. If you have somewhere nice to sleep and sit, it makes decorating and renovations much more bearable! X

23. Liz
    January 25, 2018 / 8:11 am

We moved into our first purchased house last April, still don’t have light shades for any rooms….Im waiting for the perfect lighting to show up! I now might wait and see what you do haha c

24. January 25, 2018 / 8:18 am

Take your time to create it. I don’t understand people who use interior decorators to create a home / room overnight. Your home should fit and reflect your life, your personalities. We’ve taken our time (and still have a way to go), but I love what we’ve created, finding perfect pieces of furniture here and there, slowly adding bits we need and getting rid of the furniture we moved in with that didn’t suit our new home. Every room, every piece of furniture has a story. Our home is all rolled in with our history, our lives together, it truly is ‘home’.

25. Liz
    January 25, 2018 / 8:20 am

Although actually- we did immediately knock the toilet and bathroom together and spent 5 figures getting our dream bathroom done. Once I’d picked the Victoria and Albert free-standing bath that was it….everything else had to be high spec so that we didn’t let the bath down haha. Still, there are bare light bulbs hanging everywhere in the rest of the house!! Priorities!!

26. January 25, 2018 / 8:22 am

Just like you I want to take my time, and to be honest I have never lived in a place that I considered finished. My husband though is the same as yours, he wants to get things “in order” so he might best never have to worry about them anymore.
    Biggest Ppoblem is that we moved into a house that was (and is) still inhabited. My parents live there and we share quite a lot of space. Amazing for the kids, but we as a family of four moved into a house that was already full, and decorated by someone with taste completely opposite to ours.

27. Stephanie Jayne Matthews
    January 25, 2018 / 8:55 am

My partner and I will have been in our first home together 4 years in April and we’re just in the process of getting kitchen designs done. I’d have loved to have had everything done and dusted within weeks of moving in but in reality it all takes time and planning and money. The kitchen to me is one of the most important rooms in the house yet it’s the last room to be ripped out and started from scratch. I’ve lived with it for this long, it’s old fashioned pine doors, beige speckled worktop and tiny little oven. I’ve learnt what the rooms needs, what we need – more of everything – cupboards, worktop space, double oven, bigger fridge freezer and most importantly a wine cooler. Wishing you all the best with your new home Ruth. You’ll get there xXx

28. Missflockets
    January 25, 2018 / 9:18 am

I completely agree with you on this! We bought a 9 bed, very old house and there’s only furniture in maybe 6 of those bedrooms- 3 years later! I think when you buy your forever home, you’ve got to really consider every bit of furniture as you want to do the house justice rather than filling it with “make-do” items from off the shelf. One piece of advice though- if you have tall ceilings don’t even consider making your own curtains!

29. Alison
    January 25, 2018 / 9:36 am

I’m another who is scratching her head over the swap in eras. From a modern Mad Men to a Georgian pile, that’s some change. Thankfully it sounds like yours has been modernised/winterised (or am I stretching it with the winterised bit? I’m a Canadian and since moving to this country a decade and a half ago, I have developed a borderline obsession with how cold the houses here are in winter!) so you get to do the “fun”’stuff ie: decorating. Mr AMR sounds a bit like my hubs – just wants to get it done and on a budget too I presume. The house we bought three year ago was gutted and redone to a decent standard, so we got lucky and had a place no one had actually lived in since. It’s mostly aesthetics with a few bigger spends on some things that can be done as we have the pesos. As you say, with the economy like it is, we consider ourselves very fortunate to have been able to buy at all. We totally lucked out as FTB’s and it’s most likely we won’t be moving again. I’m looking forward so much to reading more about your Georgian beauty!

30. January 25, 2018 / 10:10 am

I know EXACTLY how you’re feeling. After a few years of splitting our time between London and Cornwall we moved permanently in October and now have a wonky old granite late Georgian/regency farmhouse. Really trying not to rush into anything but my husband is keen to crack on. We do need to sort new bathrooms and a kitchen though, although they are kind of functional at the moment. Will be watching with interest (when I’m not creating a hundred boards on Pinterest).

31. January 25, 2018 / 11:37 am

Am delighted about INTERIORS. Can’t wait to see. There is something to be said about just going for it, while the momentum is there. Otherwise, things that were supposed to be a temporary fix become permanent. Also, think these shots of you are fantastic.

32. Carol P
    January 25, 2018 / 12:00 pm

I have moved so many times, I totally relate to this, I need everything done ASAP, however, this house is finally the forever home I’ve been looking for but has taken eight attempts. It led one of my friend to comment “it sounds idyllic, when are you moving”! Anyway, this time, I took a deep breath & decide to live with it, barr the odd repair & eBay find. So we have been here just over a year (moved in ten days before Christmas 2016) & the planning application has only just gone in to make it my perfect county home. My Pinterest folders are huge from waiting & looking back my tastes have definitely changed, so I shall be editing them somewhat! I also won a table & chairs yesterday on eBay for my yet to be built kitchen, thank goodness I have a barn to store it in although that is beginning to fill up… Really looking forward to seeing your interior posts. By the way I’m still looking on Rightmove daily, it’s just a habit I can’t seem to shake off!

33. January 25, 2018 / 12:15 pm

We currently rent, as my husband’s work moves us around every two years or so, but I’m quite the same way when it comes to our interiors in whatever space we have. I enjoy taking the time to create our spaces and I tend to put a lot of thought into the process. But while my husband insists that I have free reign over the decor of our home, he still manages to upend all my Pinterest-inspired efforts. I’m often after him, crying “Why is this here? I don’t remember saying you can put that there. Move that back. Stop changing things. YOU SAID I HAVE FREE REIGN OVER THE ENTIRE PLACE EXCEPT FOR YOUR OFFICE.”

34. Sandie
    January 25, 2018 / 12:27 pm

Ruth, an Interiors section is a brilliant idea! I find it difficult to take things easy when I move into a new home, especially when I have been waiting 3 months to complete the deal!! Two lessons I have learnt during my many moving experiences… one, there is nothing wrong if you sob uncontrollably on day two when you realise the enormity of what has happened and how different it looks after the previous residents have moved out (could write a book on that subject alone!) and two, I unpack and set up as fast as I can because that gives me a sense of security and makes it feel more like my own place. Of course, I always forget where I have put things during the first few days of trying to ‘find everything a home’ but I do feel more settled and less panicked by the hundreds of unpacked boxes in every room. Good luck!

35. Bing
    January 25, 2018 / 1:02 pm

I love the new ‘category’ and can’t wait to be along with you while you and your family make a new home together. I’m in the States, but love all things English and so I love seeing pictures that you share. A Q & A sounds great, and just sharing the funny and down to earth stories with us is marvelous. The best of luck with everything as it all comes together!

36. Lyla
    January 25, 2018 / 4:37 pm

We moved into our home a year and a half ago, we had it built so knew exactly what we were getting but even so I cannot think of a single room that is fully “done” yet. Some decisions screamed at me that they were the right ones, we did those first, money permitting. Some still flummox me. Some I know what I want to do but don’t have the motivation to do yet. Motivation comes and goes, the harder a project the more time before I feel my mojo coming back and ready to take on the next (I’m looking at you, 7 foot tall judges paneling in the breakfast nook).

You’re on no ones time line but your own, let it happen as it happens, and enjoy!

37. January 25, 2018 / 5:01 pm

Hi Ruth, when I bought my London flat, it took me ages to furnish it. I didn’t want to rush anything. I immediately bought the washing machine and fridge, I slept 3 months on a (very good quality -bit still…) inflatable bed to take the time to decide about the bed, 2 years to decide about the sofa etc etc. I don’t regret it. It spaced out the money spending and now I haven’t had to buy any kind of big furniture for 2/3 years. I don’t like decorating flats etc, more interested in my other hobbies and own business, so I’m glad it’s all over. Not to say I wouldn’t be happy to make furniture decisions if I were to move in with new boyfriend in a few months’ time in a new place. Would love that. Oh, and did I mention I already had the dining table and chairs from a previous relationship (don’t ask) and my hi-fi system (with 5 CDs and one space for tapes, yes, yes….) from 2005…I really look after my things. Quite fussy with what visitors can do on my floor (no shoes) and sofa to avoid disasters…

38. Gisela
    January 25, 2018 / 5:53 pm

Gosh Ruth, only you could stand barefoot on a chair and look like a million dollars.
    Here is my advice.
    Sit down with Mr AMR decide on which room would be the cozy family den.
    Start there…
    Do ONLY that one room. If you get a few pieces wrong and as time goes by you get the whole picture come together then recycle the bits that dont work in that one room.
    Once your cozy you can do the rest snuggled up on the sofa with your big books of wallpaper samples and design ideas together over a glass of wine.
    Sorted.

39. Cait’s mum
    January 25, 2018 / 10:11 pm

Hi, really enjoyed reading about your move. So true! I sat for hours on right move trying to remember how all the rooms and spaces fit together! We moved a week before Christmas which was madness, but I did manage to find the wrapping paper and most of the presents before Santa arrived!
    I love the clock.
    Really looking forward to more house/design related posts.

40. wjs57
    January 25, 2018 / 10:21 pm

When we moved from a much smaller house to our “real” family home which we have now lived in for over 20 years we were given great advice by a friend who is an interior designer. He said-take your time, see the house in different seasons and different lights before you make any decisions and also work out how you use the extra space. We took a year before doing anything major and did nothing except make it clean and strip back some hideous wallpaper-we decided the stripped wall was better than it !

We then did more work than you are contemplating but it all just flowed better.

Good luck !

41. Joanna Aird
    January 26, 2018 / 7:28 pm

I love your new house Ruth. I think waiting is best to see what works for you. There’s loads of stuff in our house that still needs doing and I sometimes wish it was all just done, but then half the fun is in making it yours and the only way to know what works is to live in it for a while. I would suggest you make the most of Mr AMR’s handyman phase as it doesn’t last long. I now ask my husband to do things and it takes months of subtle/ not so subtle mentions until it’s actually done. I’m looking forward to your interior posts!

42. January 27, 2018 / 8:00 pm

This post couldn’t be more timely for me. We’re exchanging on our first property next week and I’m in some version of a stress-filled hell. It should be exciting – and, it is – but I’m spending so much time wondering what I need to do now and what can wait a little. Look forward to reading your interior posts in the coming months! Your sister in law’s blog is beautiful btw!

Sincerely, Sarah xx

43. Aisling
    January 29, 2018 / 12:14 pm

Congratulations on the new house, Ruth! I’ll be eagerly following your posts as we are in the process of moving to a bigger house at the moment. We only finished decorating our current home about 6 months ago, and then over Christmas, we decided we needed a bigger house that’s closer to work. It’s exciting, but part of me is heart-broken that our lived in and cosy house is probably going to be getting another overhaul from its new owners. Another part of me is daunted by the prospect of another one of these long term projects!

I totally agree with you – I was glad that we lived in our house for a year before knocking walls and getting the kitchen layout right for us, because we would have made bad decisions if we did it straight away. However, I wish we had given ourselves a deadline of 6 months or so once we started changing things around. We just felt guilty when any free time we had wasn’t spent on the house, and it made it seem like such a chore!

44. January 29, 2018 / 8:52 pm

Interior posts are my favourite – your home looks like it’s decorated in a lovely minimalist way – love it! :)

Maria | The Chic Pursuit

45. February 2, 2018 / 2:07 pm

Hi Ruth,
    Thought you might like to hear about us as you may be thinking about buying antiques for your lovely Georgian Somerset house.
    We are Bushwood Antiques and you can check out our website, http://www.bushwood.co.uk or see us on the current series of Salvage Hunters, I think we are no 10.
    We have one of the largest choices of antique furniture in the country and also have an in-house team of brilliant restorers who can restore or change any items bought from us to suit your taste.
    We recently furnished a number of sets for “The Crown”, including the Queen’s bedroom and her special desk.
    We currently furnishing a house in Somerset and are delivering to them next week.
    All good wishes,
    Julie Collins

46. February 8, 2018 / 11:42 pm

I’m in the same boat, except I’ve purchased a house I’ve never even stepped foot in! Sign the papers in a few days right before our big cross-country move. I’m not sure how to tackle it either, it’s been such a process. Since October! I’ve been trying not to go hog wild with the ‘digital nesting’ but it’s rough. I’d combine your approaches if possible, especially on the more used areas like kitchens and baths. The decor and furnishings can come over time in a collected fashion.

• February 9, 2018 / 12:04 am

Oh hello!!! How are you? How come you didn’t go in? I’m intrigued – very exciting! xx