In Conversation with Mr AMR: Things Can Only Get Better | AD

mr amr

The idea for this pre-Father’s Day post was supposed to be that things get better with age and that we should embrace getting older and all of the fine things that come with it. Wisdom, perhaps; an improved financial situation, with any luck, or maybe – if you’re one of those people who jumps into a sort of panicked, late-starter love-affair with fitness – a more honed physique, or better lung capacity, or whatever benefits they all lie about when they try to trick you into doing exercise. (I jest, I jest! Exercise is brilliant! Don’t come after me, workout warriors!)

Anyway, to research this post I thought I’d ask Mr AMR for some nice little sound bites that I could work into my piece  – it’s for L’Oreal Men and was all about male grooming, you see (I’ll get to it!) and I wanted to have some anecdotal material about being a man and a father and how life gets better all the time. The title was going to be Five Things That Get Better With Age.

“What do you mean, things that get better with age?” said Mr AMR. “Like cars?”

“No,” I said, “profound things. Meaningful things. Like sex.”

“SEX?” He laughed loudly and I knew, at this point, that my lovely, heartfelt piece on fatherhood was going to have to be either completely fabricated or written off as a total loss.

‘Don’t worry,” said Mr AMR. “Give me a day or two and I’m sure I’ll think of at least one thing that gets better with age.”

And so here we are, In Conversation with Mr AMR, scraping the anecdotal barrel and getting a small insight into how his mind works. Despite not being immediately able to come up with anything that gets better with age, he did say ‘at least his L’Oreal Men products helped him to look better year after year.” Haha! Excellent. L’Oreal should put him on the telly. More on what he thought of his products below.

Me: “Right. Have you thought of the things that get better with age?”

Mr: “Five things? Yes. First one, cars.”

Me: “For God’s sake, I said you couldn’t have cars! It has to be about you!”

Mr: “It is about me. My cars, the cars that I have owned, have got better.”

Me: “Right. I’m glad you picked something so deep. Next?”

Mr: “My dress sense.”

Me: “Really?”

Mr: “Yes. You should have seen me in my rave days. I had a perm.”

Me: “Moving on. I’m not printing that.”

Mr: “OK, my general outlook on life. I understand things better and have a better understanding of what’s going on.”

Me: “Excellent! This is exactly what I need! Meaningful stuff. Carry on.”

Mr: “Yes, I understand things better. I also have better friends. Less friends, but that’s good because I’ve separated the wheat from the chief.”

Me: “The WHAT?”

Mr: “Haha! That’s not the saying is it? The wheat from the sheaf?”

Me: “The chaff!”

Mr: “hahahaha. HAHAHA! Make sure you write that down. Wait; I can make it into a joke. I only have two friends, the wheat and the chief. No, wait…”

Me: “No. Last thing that’s better with age?”

Mr: “Hm. Family?”

Me: “LAST? You can’t say that last. People will think you’re weird. That should be the first thing that comes to mind.”

Mr: “No, keep it last. It’s good that they get to see the man I really am. Anyway, family – yes it should go first; write that I said “lastly but most importantly,”. Having a family is obviously the best thing.

And that, dear readers, was the end of the conversation. I did also make him test out his L’Oreal products and give me feedback, but to say that he wouldn’t make a good beauty blogger is an understatement and a half. Here’s his mini review:

L’Oreal Men Expert Vita Lift 5 Anti-Ageing Moisturiser: good for after shaving as it didn’t burn and felt soft and soothing. Good smell, good packaging because you don’t have to put the lid back on.

Men Expert Vita Lift Eye Cream: didn’t remember to put this on a lot of the time but it felt nice and cooling when I did. Good smell.

Men Expert Stress Resist Shower Gel: GOOD SMELL!

Men Expert Stress Resist Roll On Deodorant: (wait for it) good smell.

I suppose, in a way, what else do you want them to do? Deodorant and shower gel are supposed to keep you smelling nice, or “good”. Excellent work Mr AMR, you can come back. In other news, I asked him to take the still life photos of the products and make them look somehow pretty-ish so that the images fit in with my usual style.

He returned and said, “I’ve gone a bit manly with them I’m afraid. Woodcutter style.”

Ha. He’s the best. You can buy a huge bundle of the above products on Boots.com – there’s already a massive saving, but for an extra 20% off use the code VITALIFTSAVE20. Woodcutter style.

This post contains paid-for advertorial with L’Oreal.

© 2018 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Jen
    June 10, 2018 / 10:46 pm

This made me chuckle so much :) I don’t have my Pa to buy for, but this really did lighten the mood for me.
    Thanks for making me smile :)

2. Anja
    June 10, 2018 / 11:21 pm

Oh that was brilliant! It made me laugh. Which is a very good thing after the evening I had with our toddler!

3. Ayla
    June 11, 2018 / 4:52 am

Your writing is hilarious!

4. Sharon
    June 11, 2018 / 7:56 am

I have a strange fascination with Mr AMR the little snippets you give of him are so funny! The fact we never get to see him makes him even more intriguing! Plus the fact he cleans the kitchen…. One day I hope he will be revealed in an unwitting moment…. But he never is!

5. Elena Yeates
    June 11, 2018 / 8:19 am

Loved it!!! Thank you you and please thank Mr. AMR, great laugh on the Monday morning :)

6. Henriëtte
    June 11, 2018 / 8:31 am

Can’t remember a nicer ad than this one! They should hire you Ruth, hahaha.

7. Katy Fryett
    June 11, 2018 / 8:43 am

Brilliant; Mr AMR is just like my husband …”good packaging because you don’t have to put the lid back on”

8. June 11, 2018 / 10:00 am

Any clues from Mr AMR on how I can persuade my husband to use at least a cleanser, moisturizer and SPF???

• June 11, 2018 / 10:36 am

Nope!! You can leave them out, in order, beside the sink with a huge sign and they will STILL ask which one is for “washing with”.

9. Eliza
    June 11, 2018 / 10:33 am

ooooee! a wee little look into the mind and workings of this man of mystery! It’s Mr AMR!! haha. he’s blunt. funny, but blunt. I say you keep him. :)

10. June 11, 2018 / 11:35 am

I am so entertained by Mr AMR’s guest beauty blogger spot, and going ‘a bit manly’ with the photos. GOOD SMELL! When I try to quiz my husband for his opinion on various lotions and potions, he says they are all ‘smooth’.

11. June 11, 2018 / 1:23 pm

To be fair, if you had asked me a a woman and mother about five things that get better with age, it would have taken me a long time to come up with them too. I wouldn´t have picked cars though.

Anne|Linda, Libra, Loca

• June 11, 2018 / 3:27 pm

You’ve got me thinking about mine, now! Crikey.

• Jo.C.
        June 11, 2018 / 5:47 pm

I would love to say that getting more sleep is on my list but that’s not working out too well lol x

12. Elizabeth
    June 11, 2018 / 1:32 pm

That’s definitely something my husband would say, it’s a plus point if you don’t have to put the lid back on! I can come home after a few hours of him being by himself and every lid in our flat that could come off…is off!

13. Georgina
    June 11, 2018 / 5:00 pm

Haha brilliant. Thank you Mr. AMR!

On to the deep stuff – wine clearly gets better with age. That’s the first thing that crossed my mind. Not family either – oops!

14. Jo.C.
    June 11, 2018 / 5:43 pm

Ha ha! A typical response from a bloke and that is why he’s a photographer and you’re the blogger. X

15. June 11, 2018 / 5:51 pm

This post is such so funny ! I love that you are presenting a products but rather to write the very obvious advertising you wrote a personal and smart and funny post ! Thank you

16. Hannah C
    June 11, 2018 / 8:37 pm

My Dad said “I told your mother, all I want is for my girls to be happy and healthy!”

Christ Dad, can’t I just buy you a bottle of aftershave?

17. Vicky
    June 12, 2018 / 8:11 am

the mystery of Mr AND continurse ha! btw you really should think about writing a book, your writing is so witty and makes me laugh out loud

• Vicky
      June 12, 2018 / 8:13 am

*****of Mr ATM continues ****
      clearly I should not write a book or even reply to posts apparently

18. June 12, 2018 / 9:57 am

Ruth, in the entire blogging world, yours is the only advertisement posts that I read. They’re always funny/delightful in their honesty.

19. Patricia
    June 13, 2018 / 1:26 am

I can’t see the post, and judging by the comments, it’s one I’d really enjoy!

20. Olga
    June 14, 2018 / 11:20 am

The most important thing about anything after shaving is if it stains white shirts’ collars! My husband has ruined three new shirts until the investigation led us to the root cause. His after shaving cream!
    I liked this post!

21. Stephanie
    June 14, 2018 / 8:59 pm

Haha!
    My dad, soon age 56, would totally start with his car. His car or parts from his car would even be second and third. 1. Aluminuim wheels 2. tyres 3. car 4. beer 5. family. He is kind of a sensitive man and would say beer just to annoy me but 1, 2 and 3….yes, totally his answers. Mr. AMR, you are not alone! :D
    Really nice post, Ruth! I really appreciate your writings. Sometimes it is sad and profound, sometimes funny and life-relaxing, but always informative.

22. Cat
    June 15, 2018 / 10:07 pm

HAHAHA!!!! Made me laugh out loud! (Or is it aloud?..meh…anyway…) Brilliant dialogue pleasssseee can we have more Mr AMR chat posts!!! x

23. Barbara
    June 15, 2018 / 11:21 pm

Ruth, you should write a novel. PLEASE. I am waiting for it for years. Please make it happen.