In this relentless heat, there are few garments as handy as the maxi dress. The maxi has barely any actual contact with the skin, if you get a good floaty one, so it’s kind of like being naked. I’d recommend wearing knickers though, just in case there’s a sudden breeze… Here are a few amazing maxi dresses that I’ve spotted on my internet travels recently – sorely tempted to buy all of them, but reigning myself in…
1) Halston Heritage Printed Silk Gown (above). This is quite a number. To be fair, it’s not your average “chuck it on and go down the beach” kind of maxi, it’s more glam wedding or weekend on a superyacht. Reflected in the price, which was £830 but is now £415 here at The Outnet. It’s absolutely gorgeous and I’m besotted with the colour, but can’t quite justify the price tag! By-the-by, The Outnet has quite a brilliant clearance sale on – lots of things are 85% off and not all of it is just last year’s tat. I’ve spotted a couple of very good jackets and some nice cotton basics, but there must be lots of people with the same shopping intentions because the website keeps saying it’s too busy!
2) The HUSH Jersey Maxi Dress (£30 here), brilliantly hugging around the bust and then loose and flowing thereafter. Just what the doctor ordered. I have this in the short version and there are loads of different colours, too – it’s a really handy dress to take to the beach. You can always throw a cardy over your shoulders in the evening if you feel too exposed… Hush Homewear Sale
3) The Citrona racer-back maxi from By Malene Birger – simply the most incredible colour. I do think that this one is smart enough to wear to a wedding – it’s incredibly chic with its side-split and revealing back. For more pics, have a look on Net-a-Porter – it costs £169.
4) Cheap and cheerful from Topshop, the cami maxi. Comes in loads of different colours and is just about the simplest dress design you’ll come across – a cami, basically, that’s been extended to touch the floor! I’ll be honest and say that this isn’t the most forgiving of cuts – those worried about hips and tums might prefer one of the bandeau styles that flares out (like the Hush suggestion or a style similar to the one from Halston Heritage). These simple, cheap jersey numbers have a tendency to cling – but they are what they are. Handy, great for the heat and a total Godsend if you haven’t had time to shave your legs! £18 from Topshop.com
5) The two-toned “Alma” maxi dress from Casson appeals to me greatly – there’s something rather retro about it. I love tan/coral colourways, you can’t get any more summery! You could belt this dress (they do on the website) but I prefer it loose – just stick on some flat sandals and load your arms up with bangles and off you go! £86 from Casson London
Please feel free to add more finds in the comments below – there are some brilliant sales at the moment so I’m sure you’ve all found a bargain or two..
© 2018 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.