Yes, we do have to talk about it. The V-Word. Valentine’s Day. Personally, it makes me want to puke and Mr AMR is entirely with me on that one. (Though I still make him get me a card, just because.) However: if there is an excuse to procure myself things that smell of roses, beauty things, then I am there. All of my principles go out of the window. So, join me, those who love rose-scented things, and embrace the power of V-Day! I hate the phrase “gift-to-self”, but if that’s what we have to suffer for some rosy things then I’m at peace with it if you are. If you’re single, it will have to be an actual gift-to-self, if you’re not single then all you need do is forward this page to your “loved one” (another hateful phrase) or, if you live together, log into his online banking and transfer yourself a few
(hundred) quid. Not that I would ever do that…
Here are my little rose-scented treasures for this year’s V-Day.
1) Serge Lutens’ new fragrance La fille de Berlin. It goes straight up there into my top rose-scented-things hall of fame. Looks like diluted blood in the bottle, smells like a rose garden after a thunderstorm. I imagine. It’s very rosy. If you hate roses, even a little bit, you will detest this perfume like a smack in the face with a snowball. (When has that ever been funny? It’s grounds for divorce, surely?) La Fille de Berlin is exclusive to Harrods, for now, and it costs £69. Harrods.com
2) Elemental Herbology’s Neroli & Rose Damask body cream. This is really, really moisturising and sumptuous. It doesn’t “sink straight in” but then I’m not sure that’s always a plus point, actually. It’s quite nice to take your time after a bath and really massage a cream into the skin – this one is well worth the effort. I pop my warmed pyjamas straight on over the top and then get into bed and it’s like having an overnight treatment mask for the body! The Neroli & Damask Rose cream is £20 with free worldwide delivery from FeelUnique.com
3) Jo Malone’s Red Roses anything: seriously, anything from this range. If I had to pick one thing? The reed diffusers. The gift that just keeps on giving – mine ran out of juice over six months ago and it’s still sat there in the hallway with the little black sticks scenting the air. I’d like it if Jo Malone could be all eco-friendly and do a refill for this, please. I’d buy it by the gallon. £45 from Selfridges.com
4) Floris White Rose Bath Essence. This looks absurdly small, this tiny bottle, but when I say that you only need a couple of drops per use I really mean it. The bottle only dispenses a drop at a time and that’s for a reason! Two drops scent the bath, the bathroom, almost the entire house if you leave the door open. It’s a beautiful version of a rose perfume – very sweet and feminine – and something that I always look forward to using. It’s £49 from Floris
Some bonus ideas – not included in the picture because the massage oil was too tall and the hand lotion packaging isn’t very luxurious and both threatened to ruin my photo:
5) Aromatherapy Associates Renew Rose Massage Oil. This oil is a sexy little madam – if you’re having a pamper session then it’s about as blissful as body moisturising gets! If you can persuade someone else to do the rubbing in then all the better – someone you know, obviously. Don’t just ask any old person off the street – not only is that dangerous, it’s also weird. Don’t ask family members either: really, really weird. Renew Rose Massage Oil is £38 with free delivery at FeelUnique.com
6) Lavera’s Rose Garden Hand Cream. Inexpensive, gorgeous-smelling cream. It’s non-greasy but does moisturise well and the rose scent is very sweet and light rather than heavy or cloying. Not exactly the most romantic or luxurious gift-to-self but it’s pretty much guilt free… £5.75 from NutriBeauty
© 2018 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.