December Favourites

best beauty products december 2016

This video wasn’t supposed to go up until Sunday, but something odd and enthusiastic happened with my Youtube scheduling, so here it is: the December favourites. I spend almost the entire video wearing hair rollers, which is a bit weird, but there are some real beauty finds in this month’s round-up so do give the video a go!

Ooh – a quick note about Beauty Pie. I filmed this video straight after hearing about this new makeup subscription service, Beauty Pie, which gives you “luxury” cosmetics at cost price – NO mark-up – so long as you pay their monthly fee. Now at the time of filming, I did quite enjoy the idea of this concept – it was new, fresh and seemed to be about to shake things up a bit in the beauty world. Nothing wrong with that. But in the few weeks that have gone by since filming, I’ve had a good old think about the whole thing and also tried quite a lot of the products and I’m just not sure that it’s something I buy into. The £10 a month fee gives you access to all of their makeup at cost price (so, for example, a lipstick at £2.24 rather than twenty-odd quid) but that’s with a five pounds shipping and handling charge on top and so all of a sudden, if you just want to buy a lipstick that month as a treat, you’re almost up to the cost of a luxury lipstick anyway. And the luxury one, say Dior or what have you, would be beautifully packaged and would feel like a proper treat.

So I’m torn. There are some lovely products, and the site looks great – really swish and Net-a-Porter-y, but do people really want to shop for their beauty in this way? Or would they rather have the freedom to shop from a wide range of brands whenever they fancy? I just can’t see many people wanting to sign up to a monthly commitment like this. What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments! You can read more about Beauty Pie here.

Estee Lauder Sultry Nudes Palette: http://bit.ly/2gMzhqc

Chanel Super Nude Gloss: http://bit.ly/2hPlSvt

Wunderbrow Blonde Brow Gel: http://amzn.to/2gKpKSq

Topshop Air Cushion Foundation (I use shade 1): http://bit.ly/2gMxB0a

Guerlain Super Aqua Serum: http://tidd.ly/575bfea1

MV Organic Skincare Rose Booster: http://bit.ly/2gMA3U8

Clinique Smart Night Cream: http://bit.ly/2gMzo56

Burt’s Bees Mama Bee Oil: http://amzn.to/2hmZigt

Portrait of a Lady Hair and Body Oil: http://bit.ly/2hPpygw

Babyliss Curl Pods: goo.gl/l0nQXC

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Nicoletta
    December 29, 2016 / 10:07 pm

Hi Ruth , hope you had a wonderful Christmas !! looking lovely and you are blooming marvelously :) loved the video as always and perfect timing as I was on the look out for a new serum . I have been using the Aqualia Thermal by Vichy but I gave in and ordered the Guerlain with a 20% discount at Escentual web site !! :) . Still pricey but couldn’t resist . Happy new year Ruth !! Looking forward to “seeing ” you in 2017 lots of love Nic xx

2. Nancy Carnell
    December 29, 2016 / 10:11 pm

Hmmmm. Had a good old nose around the Beauty Pie site and have two concerns. Firstly, I browsed the make-up section and lots of the packaging looks very Bobbi Brown…but it’s not that brand. Secondly, I read all the FAQs until I got to shipping/handling and then a box popped up obscuring my view of that section and encouraging me to sign up today. No thanks- I’ll stick to spending the occasional twenty quid or so on a fabulous lipstick from counter, with all the advice and free samples I can wangle!

3. December 29, 2016 / 10:13 pm

Your makeup is quite on point in the video! I haven’t been able to try any of the Guerlain skincare but the serum does sound really nice!

4. December 30, 2016 / 6:39 am

I dont like subscriptions in general, I dont like the commitment. And I feel like I end up getting something juts because that I would probably not have had otherwise.

5. Sara Mathews
    December 30, 2016 / 9:17 am

I agree wth your Beauty Pie reservations. I did some sums and found the savings are not that great lous as you say I thought about what I buy beauty for.
    Some purchases are a necessity and I have a carefully researched stable of affordable products I rely on.
    Some purchases are based on specific recommendations from people such as yourself!
    Some are definitely treats when I want the splurgy pleasure of a posh lipstick or a lovely eye pencil to cheer myself up.
    None of these really fit into the Beauty Pue philosophy so for me it’s a no.

6. Sandie
    December 30, 2016 / 11:18 am

Happy New Year Ruth! Thank you for your fabulous blogs & vlogs during 2016. Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy 2017. PS The Guerlain serum is wonderful – John Lewis currently have a “Super” set available for just over a hundred quid!

7. Tina
    December 30, 2016 / 12:20 pm

Thank you Ruth! You look gorgeous! What eyeshadow are you wearing in this video?

8. ziloa
    December 30, 2016 / 12:43 pm

I’m not really interested in BeautyPie, you have to subscribe for 3 month before being able to stop so you really have to do your maths before getting into this I guess. I guess it’s fine if it’s christmas and you want to buy plenty of make up to all your familiy, but I feel it’s not a good option for the long run.

9. philippa sutton
    December 30, 2016 / 3:17 pm

I don’t really like the sound of beauty pie either, I’d much rather stick to buying things as and when I feel like it!

10. Gisela Spencer
    December 30, 2016 / 7:53 pm

Hi Ruth this was a lovely video I would love the skin care items for my poor dehydrated skin.
    As far as the beauty pie thing. I might be tempted if it was skin care of amazing quality but would not buy that much makeup and think it could become a drag to have to keep at it.
    Definately a different approach though.
    Wishing you an easy and relaxed time till baby number two arrives. You all must be so excited and a bit overwhelmed I imagine. But in a good way.
    Best wishes.
    Gisela

11. Lisa
    December 31, 2016 / 12:26 pm

Your make up looks gorgeous. Can you do a review on make up brushes in the new year from high end to budget ones please?

12. denise Barnatt
    January 2, 2017 / 12:03 pm

Thanks for the really honest review on Beauty Pie – the P&P seems to be the killer on that whole venture. Will have to give it a miss – as you say so much more choice on the high street. x

13. Sade
    January 2, 2017 / 3:34 pm

The topshop product for 12 quid (36 for equivalent sized product) – isn’t this price/brand range what beauty pie is competing against? That is if you really are getting a high end product for mid range prices & so far no one has really tried to figure out how the actual product rates against other types, regardless of price. (Put differently, to test whether beauty pies retail price is actually truthful)

14. Tatiana
    January 3, 2017 / 1:06 am

Love your makeup in this video. Are you wearing the Sultry Nudes or some other shadow?
    I can be irrationally, picky about the makeup I purchase so I doubt I’d be interested in a subscription service. I think I will try to get a sample of the Clinique Smart Night moisturizer as my skin has been very dry this winter. Must admit the thought of the FM Portrait of A Lady hair and body oil delights me to no end as that’s one of my favorite cold weather scents. I only wish it wasn’t so much more expensive stateside.

15. January 19, 2017 / 10:07 pm

I’ve heard about Beauty Pie before! Same thoughts as that blogger too, wonder if it’s worth it?